Welcome to City Council Highlights, a concise digest of newsworthy decisions and issues from City Council meetings. CLICK ON A DATE TO VIEW HIGHLIGHTS.
Most Recent Council Meeting
- 2016 Annual Report approved
- Decision on permanent rainbow and transgender crosswalks delayed 2 weeks
- Uber seeks bylaw amendments for ridesharing
Previous City Council Meetings
- Transit to work with U of L and student union to develop UPASS
- Dates, locations and hours set for 2017 municipal election
- Council ratifies new collective agreements with police associations
- Lethbridge is taking a run at hosting the 2022 Can-Am Police-Fire Games
- Galt Gardens Master Plan presented to City Council
- Council briefed on successful mission to Asia
- 2016 Tour of Alberta Committee reports event was a success
- Funding extended for Rent Supplement Program
February 13, 2017
- Fee assistance program helps 1,000+ recipients in its first full year
January 30, 2017
- Lethbridge Police Service budget request approved
- City receives full value on remaining $22.3-million in ABCP replacement notes
- Historic Resource designations approved for two downtown buildings
- Council commits $15,000 to help host 2017 W. Canadian U-16 Football Championships
- City to seek provincial grant funding for planning & design of 62 Ave N
- 150 trees to be designated & planted in major parks in 2017 to mark Canada's 150th birthday
- Approval of expansion of Sherring Business and Industrial Park.
- Council approves largest land sale in Lethbridge's history - 116 ha to Cavendish Farms.
- Diversion Outreach gets extended funding
- License bylaws change for taxi services
- Southern Alberta Summer Games wrap-up
- Citizens' Assembly shares final report
- Approval of residential curbside recycling program
- Update on Henderson Pool
- Letter of support for grant to Opokaa'sin Early Intervention Society
- $50,000 approved to support U of L's 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Update from Youth Advisory Council
- Approval of Destination Management Plan and new governance of tourism
- Yates renovations expanded
- U of L presents plans for music festival as part of 50th Anniversary Celebration.
- Re-zoning of land on Stafford Dr. N.
- New curling club lease
- Support for Los Amigos project
- Fostering diversity and inclusion
- Lots of lots to Habitat for Humanity
- Borrowing approved for west Lethbridge road construction on Whoop-Up and Metis Trail
- Continued bridge funding for SAAG
- New parking technology approved for downtown
- Community engagement plan presented for the Capital Improvement Program
- Letter of support approved for Henderson Lake Golf Course to aid in grant funding opportunities
- City to help University of Lethbridge recognize 50th anniversary
- Nikka Yuko receives hosting grant for local celebration next summer
- City will now provide dispatch services to regional peace officers
- Amendments to water agreements in Lethbridge County will give developments flexibility in the number of water connections available.
- Vital west Lethbridge road construction advanced to 2017
- Success of Skate Canada International
- Galt Museum and Archives Annual Report
- Designation begins to make Burns Block a historic resource.
- Approval of Royal View Area Structure Plan
- Trevor Stuart receives Key to the City Honour
- Sustainival, a green carnival is coming to Lethbridge in June 2017.
City to host 2016 U16 National Soccer Championships
2016 Lethbridge census results
Sale of downtown Oliver Building
Capital Improvement Program prioritization approved
- City Council approves new funding and resources towards fighting European Elm Scale.
- Over 740,000 awarded to eight community organizations through the Community Capital Project Grant.
- A bid for the 2018 National Trampoline Championship will go forward with funding from the City's Major Event Grant.
- City Hall to be lit up purple in honour of World Elder Abuse Day.
- Three new Municipal Historic Resources designated.
- City finalizes contract with Galt Museum to operate Fort Whoop-Up.
- A section of 43rd St. S. approved to be paved and reopened to connect neighbourhoods.
- Fire & Emergency Services presented their quality management plan.
- Approval of Southeast Area Structure Plan
- Reclassification of land use for Oliver Building
- 2016 tax rate set.
- Water Rationing Action Plan approved.
- Citizens Assembly to be established to review Councillor hours and pay.
- Southeast Area Structure Plan second and third reading postponed two weeks.
- Portable sign bylaw defeated.
- 2015 Annual Report approved.
- Alberta 55 Plus Winter games presents $25,000 in legacy funding.
- Southminister United Church designated Municipal Historic Resource.
- Portable sign bylaw postponed two weeks.
March 21, 2016
- Three city residential sites to begin municipal historic designation
- Tax penalties to be reduced
- Rainbow crosswalks around Galt Gardens will help celebrate Lethbridge Pride Fest.
- Sweeping support for World Curling Championships
- Letter of support approved for the Town of Taber to complete a feasibility study on building a MRF
- Construction approval to prepare Waterbridge community for new westside school
- New lighting system will illuminate City Hall
- Council supports YMCA's grant application process for facility upgrades.
- New agreement ratified with Library employees
- Council receives cheque for $175,000 from Rotary.
- ATB Financial approved as naming sponsor for Crossings Leisure Complex.
- New events moving forward for Nikka Yuko Japanese Gardens.
January 11, 2016
- Council votes 5-4 against a resolution to begin residential curbside recycling.
- Lethbridge will host the 2016 Southern Alberta Summer Games July 6-9.
- Progress continues on the new Legacy Park in North Lethbridge with the approval of a new construction contract.
- Emergency traffic plan for Whoop-Up Drive approved.
- Five ambulances to be replaced over the next two years.
- Construction of change rooms at North Lethbridge Sports park move ahead.
- Historic portion of the Galt Museum to get a facelift
Click here for 2015 City Council Highlights
Click here for 2013 City Council Highlights