Lighting the exterior of City Hall will help to celebrate and build community spirit in Lethbridge. The exterior lights of City Hall are a beautifying element to our downtown, a symbol of pride for locals and part of our Lethbridge story.
Residents are invited to make requests to light City Hall based on the criteria outlined below. We strive to fulfill all eligible requests, but any confirmed request may be modified if a major, local, national or international situation occurs.
All requests must be approved at the discretion of the City Manager or designate.
Application Request Details
- Applicants must be not-for-profit and community-focused and applications received must be at least 14 days prior to the requested light up date.
- Requests are processed in the order in which they are received and are considered on a case-by-case basis using the following criteria:
- support an event of national or international significance (such as Canada Day or a twin city visit).
- Support a local festival or event that positively impacts local community spirit (such as the Dragon Boat Festival).
- Support a local, national or international awareness issue that builds community or is related to community health (such as Elder Abuse or Awareness of Violence Against Women).
- Acknowledge and welcome visiting dignitaries (such as the Japanese Imperial Family or Ambassadors from various countries) hosted by our city.
- Multi-day requests may be granted at the discretion of the City Manager or designate.
- We reserve the right to deny requests. Lighting requests will not be considered for:
- personal or private occasions (such as birthdays or anniversaries)
- political events or observances
- Religious figures, religious organizations or additional religious holidays
- commercial purposes
- We will not light up City Hall for an organization or group that is deemed to be inappropriate, offensive in nature, or those supporting discrimination, prejudice, violence or hatred.
- All City Hall lightings with be posted on our official social media accounts. All other forms of publicity are the responsibility of the applicant.
- We will out best to fulfill your colour request, but the exact hue may not be possible. We will use the closest hue that we can achieve through LEDs. We cannot light City Hall with browns or blacks at any time.
Approved Lighting Requests
|University of Lethbridge Founder's Day 50th Anniversary Celebrations - Yellow and Blue||January 13th and 14th, 2017|
|Remembrance of the victims of the Mosque shooting in Quebec City||January 31st - February 3rd, 2017|
|Lethbridge Chinese New Year Celebrations - Red and Gold||February 3rd - 6th, 2017|
|International Women's Day - Purple||March 8, 2017|
|National Autism Awareness Day on behalf of the Chinook Autism Society - Blue||April 2nd, 2017|
|Canada Day on behalf of the Lethbridge Canada Day Committee - Red and White||July 1, 2017|