The Multi Family application allows for either side/side or up/down construction of a new duplex where not more than one dwelling is contained above another.Supporting Document
first step of any project is obtaining Development approval. Approval is obtained when a Development Officer reviews the submitted site plan and building drawings and determines that they meet the minimum requirements outlined in
Land Use Bylaw 5700.
Development officers review each application by first determining which zoning district the parcel is located in. Each residential parcel in the City of Lethbridge has a specific zoning district assigned to it. Within each zoning district is a set of requirements outlining both permitted and discretionary uses of the parcel, minimum parcel sizes, setbacks from parcel lines for principal and accessory buildings, heights of buildings, etc.
- To determine the zoning district of your parcel, visit the
Property Information Map, click the 'Property Search' button and enter your address. Once you have determined your zoning district, locate the corresponding district rules in
Land Use Bylaw 5700 to determine the minimum requirements for your parcel.
Required Permits and Inspections
- Footing & foundation, framing, insulation & vapor barrier, wiring, plumbing, gas and ventilation requirements are to be completed in accordance with applicable codes.
Egress windows for bedrooms must indicate the opening type and meet minimum safety requirements.
- Provide a numbered wall assembly reference from Division B, Appendix A, Section A-220.127.116.11 of the 2006 A.B.C. in compliance of Division B article 18.104.22.168 & 22.214.171.124 for required firewall separations.
High Intensity Residential Fire (HIRF) requirements are to be addressed.
- Design requirements for Tall Walls are to be addressed.
- Structural members must be specified (floor/roof/deck beams, garage door headers, basement window lintels, etc.)
- Attic access locations and dimensions must be shown.
- Engineered column and pad footing specifications must be provided on foundation plans for point loads in excess of
8000 lbs. unfactored (11600 lbs. factored) loads.
- Unprotected area calculations for glazed openings in exterior walls must be provided.
- ICF block foundations require a copy of the installers certification to be submitted.
- Screw piles or cast in place friction piles are to be designed by a professional engineer.
- Compliance with Flashing requirements of the 2006 A.B.C must be noted or detailed.
- Completed Application Form
- Completed Permit Application Checklist
- One complete set of Construction drawings to scale, printed a minimum size of 11"x17" containing:
o Site Plan
o Architectural Control Approvals
o Soil Bearing Evaluation
o Footing & Foundation Plan
o Basement Development Plan
o Floor Plans
o 4 Sided Building Elevations
o Cross Sections
o Structural Details
o Mechanical Information
o Electrical Information
o Truss Manufacturers Corporate Letter
o Truss Manufacturers Floor & Roof Layouts
o Professional Endorsement (when required)