Sign In

News Centre

Category Image

Put a freeze on home fires this holiday season

​Home fires are more common during the holidays than in any other season. Last year, Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services responded to four residential fires causing more than $500,000 in damage during the holiday season. Two of these fires were caused by leaving a stove unattended.​

Have a safe holiday season by remembering these important fire safety tips:

  • Always stub smoking materials such as cigarettes completely out and dispose of them safely.
  • Ensure space heaters are at least one metr​​​e away from all combustibles such as drapes or curtains. Space heaters should be plugged directly into the wall, not into extension cords.
  • Candles should be in a sturdy holder and should never be left unattended.
  • Holiday wires and extension cords should be replaced immediately if bare spots or fraying occur.
  • Ensure natural Christmas trees are watered regularly and placed away from heat.
  • Extension cords are rated and should be used only for the equipment for which they are rated.

For more information contact: 
Mark Hoveling
Fire Prevention Officer
403-320-3811​​