This section of Métis Trail extends from Jerry Potts Boulevard West to Caledonia Boulevard West and includes a new section of Caledonia Boulevard into the Crossings area, between Métis Trail and Aquitania Boulevard West. It includes pathways and will provide an alternative access for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists to the Crossings and Copperwood areas in west Lethbridge in time for the start of the new school year.
Stage 1 Opening Map
Other Métis Trail Construction Updates
- Completion of the next stage of Métis Trail, from Caledonia Boulevard West to Whoop-Up Drive is ahead of schedule and is expected to open before the end of September 2017.
- Remaining stages of Métis Trail will be completed by September 2018, weather permitting. Deep utilities have been installed between Garry Drive West and Walsh Drive, and improvements at the Walsh Drive/University Drive intersection have also begun.
- The pathway along Stage 1 will be opening next week once landscaping is complete, allowing for it to be opened safely for residents.
When this project is complete, new sections of Métis Trail will extend from Whoop-Up Drive north to Walsh Drive and will provide a much needed alternative north-south traffic corridor to relieve congestion on the Whoop-Up Drive/University Drive corridor in west Lethbridge.
Whoop-Up Drive Twinning Update
Initial stages of the expansion of Whoop-Up Drive to four lanes are nearing completion between Métis Trail and 30 Street West. This has involved adding two lanes on the south side of the existing two-lane section of Whoop-Up Drive.
- The following intersection enhancements which are expected to be fully operational by the end of August, in time for the new school year:
- 30 Street West: 4-way stop
- Mauretania Road West: new traffic lights with pedestrian crossings
- Coalbanks Gate West: intersection expansion with new traffic lights and pedestrian crossings
- Aquitania Boulevard West: new traffic lights with pedestrian crossings
- Construction on a new multi-lane roundabout at the Whoop-Up Drive/Métis Trail intersection is progressing well and is expected to open by the second week of September 2017.
- Twinning of Whoop-Up also continues between Métis Trail and Jerry Potts Boulevard/McMaster Boulevard West. Expansion of the Whoop-Up Drive/Blackfoot Road West intersection, including new traffic lights, is expected to be complete this fall.
- Completion of the Whoop-Up Drive Twinning project is expected by November 2018, weather permitting.
The Whoop-Up Drive Twinning and Métis Trail Construction projects will alleviate traffic congestion in central west Lethbridge and enhance access to new neighbourhoods, leisure facilities, schools, library services and shopping.
The City of Lethbridge recognizes that construction on Whoop-Up Drive and Metis Trail has a significant impact on residents and visitors to Copperwood, Garry Station and Crossings areas. These projects have been coordinated to minimize impacts to traffic and to offer alternative routes during the construction period. For the safety of construction workers, motorists are advised to drive with caution in work areas and to follow any posted speed limits or detours.
Details and updates on the projects are available at: www.lethbridge.ca/WhoopupMetis
Senior Project Administrator
City of Lethbridge