Sign In

News Centre

Category Image

Fire investigation complete at north Lethbridge apartment

​​Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services have completed their investigation of a north Lethbridge apartment fire yesterday and have determined the cause to be accidental. The fire started on the exterior of the building related to the improper disposal of a cigarette. ​

Residents are reminded that when extinguishing smoking materials, ensure they are disposed of in a non-combustible container filled with sand or water. Citizens are also reminded that the city-wide fire ban remains in effect due to very hot and dry conditions.

Several 911 calls reported smoke and flames visible from a 1 floor balcony of an apartment located on the 1300 block of 23 Avenue North at 12:18 p.m. on Thursday, August 31. Twenty one fire fighters from three stations responded to the fire and were able to extinguish the blaze within two hours.  All 46 residents were able to safely evacuate. The total cost of the damage has yet to be determined.

Media Contacts:

Adam Saturley
Fire Investigator
​(403)320-3811
adam.saturley@lethbridge.ca