Any event taking place on or in City of Lethbridge roadways or public land (such as parks) is registered through Recreation & Culture. Examples of special events are rallies, walks/runs, fundraisers, car shows, block parties, road closures, etc.
Recreation & Culture 403-320-3011 or email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a permit?
- Use of public land in an organized fashion can obtain a permit
- Weddings, festivals, parades, fundraisers, races, etc. are examples of a special event
- By obtaining a permit the group ensures the space is available to them and there will be limited obstacles during their event (mowing, sprinklers, etc.)
What are the insurance requirements and where do I obtain insurance?
- An insurance policy of no less than two million dollars that includes a “Cross Liability Clause” naming the City of Lethbridge as an additional insured
- Obtain your insurance from an insurance broker of your choosing
Where do I get a permit?
- A permit is issued by contacting Recreation & Culture
- Application form submissions are recommended at least one month prior to the event
- The application form will start the approval process
What happens once I submit an application form?
- The application form will be checked for date and location availability
- More complex applications may require approval from multiple departments and could take 2 – 4 weeks
- Once approved a copy of the permit will be sent to the applicant. If more details are required the applicant will be contacted and a meeting will be set up with all parties involved
How long does the approval process take?
- Depending upon the complexity of the event approvals can take a minimum of 2 weeks
- For major events the planning process can take several months for all parties involved
- Ensure you allow enough time when submitting your application form
Where do I obtain a liquor permit?
- Most liquor permits can be obtained through any liquor store
- Special event liquor permits (beer gardens) are obtained from the Alberta Liquor Control Board
What happens if someone else requests the same date & location as I do?
- Events that happened previously take priority for date and location
- If both events are new a meeting will be set up with all parties involved to try to accommodate all needs
- At this time only one event will be approved in a specific location at the same time
Who do I call after hours if I need help with my event?
- Special event onsite staff 403-315-4215 or 403-315-4390