August 9, 2017
With the full support of the Lethbridge Executive Leaders Coalition on Opioid Use, ARCHES, a local harm reduction agency, submitted a comprehensive application to Health Canada on July 31, 2017.
Alberta's Health Minister is putting her support firmly behind this application to establish Supervised Consumption Services in Lethbridge to respond to the growing crisis of opioid use.
Read the full news release including comments from Alberta Health Minister Sarah Hoffman and details on the site identified for Supervised Consumption Services in Lethbridge.
June 19, 2017
After completing a community needs assessment and studying community addiction strategies worldwide, the Lethbridge Executive Leaders Coalition on Opioid Use determined that Supervised Consumption Services would be an effective intervention model to reduce harm from drug use and help save lives.
With the full support of the Coalition, ARCHES prepared and submitted an application in late July 2017 to Health Canada to establish Supervised Consumption Services in Lethbridge.
A list of potential sites has been developed and is expected to be narrowed down through the application process.
Stakeholder Sessions during June 2017
Prior to submitting this application, the Coalition hosted focused stakeholder information sessions throughout June, 2017 with law enforcement, emergency medical responders, corrections, and others.
Community Discussion Sessions during July 2017
The Coalition hosted a series of community discussion sessions in July 2017. A total of nine Community Discussion Sessions were held to provide information and answer questions from Lethbridge residents.
Schedule for Community Discussion Sessions:
- Tuesday, July 4, 6-8 p.m. at Crossings Library Branch
- Wednesday, July 5, 1-3 p.m. at Lethbridge College (Sunflower Room)
- Thursday, July 6, 9-11 a.m. at Alberta Health Services (Lethbridge Centre)
- Monday, July 10, 9-11 a.m. at City Hall (Culver Room)
- Wednesday, July 12, 6-8 p.m. at Boys & Girls Club, 1405-8 Avenue N.
- Thursday, July 13, 1-3 p.m. at Alberta Health Services (Lethbridge Centre)
- Monday, July 17, 1-3 p.m. at Crossings Library Branch
- Wednesday, July 19, 9-11 a.m. at Lethbridge College (Sunflower Room)
- Thursday, July 20, 6-8 p.m. at Alberta Health Services (Lethbridge Centre)
Community questions or comments can also be emailed to: email@example.com
May 1, 2017
A number of Coalition representatives addressed members of Lethbridge City Council at a public Community Issues Committee meeting to discuss the provincial and local impacts of opioid addiction as well as the broad-based, collaborative response that the Coalition is developing to respond to the local crisis.
Watch the presentation and view the accompanying slides
Read the May 1, 2017 news release