2016 City Council Highlights
December 12, 2016
- Approval of expansion of Sherring Business and Industrial Park.
- Council approves largest land sale in Lethbridge's history - 116 ha to Cavendish Farms.
November 28, 2016
- Diversion Outreach gets extended funding
- License bylaws change for taxi services
- Southern Alberta Summer Games wrap-up
- Citizens' Assembly shares final report
- Approval of residential curbside recycling program
- Update on Henderson Pool
November 14, 2016
- Letter of support for grant to Opokaa'sin Early Intervention Society
- $50,000 approved to support U of L's 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Update from Youth Advisory Council
- Approval of Destination Management Plan and new governance of tourism
- Yates renovations expanded
October 31, 2016
- U of L presents plans for music festival as part of 50th Anniversary Celebration.
- Re-zoning of land on Stafford Dr. N.
October 17, 2016
- New curling club lease
- Support for Los Amigos project
- Fostering diversity and inclusion
- Lots of lots to Habitat for Humanity
- Borrowing approved for west Lethbridge road construction on Whoop-Up and Metis Trail
- Continued bridge funding for SAAG
October 3, 2016
September 19, 2016
- New parking technology approved for downtown
- Community engagement plan presented for the Capital Improvement Program
- Letter of support approved for Henderson Lake Golf Course to aid in grant funding opportunities
September 6, 2016
- City to help University of Lethbridge recognize 50th anniversary
- Nikka Yuko receives hosting grant for local celebration next summer
- City will now provide dispatch services to regional peace officers
- Amendments to water agreements in Lethbridge County will give developments flexibility in the number of water connections available.
August 22, 2016
- Vital west Lethbridge road construction advanced to 2017
August 8, 2016
- Success of Skate Canada International
- Galt Museum and Archives Annual Report
July 25, 2016
- Designation begins to make Burns Block a historic resource
- Approval of Royal View Area Structure Plan
July 11, 2016
June 27, 2016
- City to host 2016 U16 National Soccer Championships
- 2016 Lethbridge census results
- Sale of downtown Oliver Building
- Capital Improvement Program prioritization approved
June 13, 2016
- City Council approves new funding and resources towards fighting European Elm Scale.
- Over 740,000 awarded to eight community organizations through the Community Capital Project Grant.
- A bid for the 2018 National Trampoline Championship will go forward with funding from the City's Major Event Grant.
- City Hall to be lit up purple in honour of World Elder Abuse Day.
- Three new Municipal Historic Resources designated.
- City finalizes contract with Galt Museum to operate Fort Whoop-Up.
May 30, 2016
- A section of 43rd St. S. approved to be paved and reopened to connect neighbourhoods.
- Fire & Emergency Services presented their quality management plan.
May 16, 2016
- Approval of Southeast Area Structure Plan
- Reclassification of land use for Oliver Building
May 2, 2016
- 2016 tax rate set.
- Water Rationing Action Plan approved.
- Citizens Assembly to be established to review Councillor hours and pay.
- Southeast Area Structure Plan second and third reading postponed two weeks.
- Portable sign bylaw defeated.
April 18, 2016
- 2015 Annual Report approved.
- Alberta 55 Plus Winter games presents $25,000 in legacy funding.
- Southminister United Church designated Municipal Historic Resource.
- Portable sign bylaw postponed two weeks.
April 4, 2016
March 21, 2016
- Three city residential sites to begin municipal historic designation
- Tax penalties to be reduced
- Rainbow crosswalks around Galt Gardens will help celebrate Lethbridge Pride Fest.
March 7, 2016
- Sweeping support for World Curling Championships
- Letter of support approved for the Town of Taber to complete a feasibility study on building a MRF
- Construction approval to prepare Waterbridge community for new westside school
- New lighting system will illuminate City Hall
February 22, 2016
- Council supports YMCA's grant application process for facility upgrades.
- New agreement ratified with Library employees
February 8, 2016
- Council receives cheque for $175,000 from Rotary.
- ATB Financial approved as naming sponsor for Crossings Leisure Complex.
- New events moving forward for Nikka Yuko Japanese Gardens.
January 25, 2016
- Council votes 5-4 against a resolution to begin residential curbside recycling.
- Lethbridge will host the 2016 Southern Alberta Summer Games July 6-9.
- Progress continues on the new Legacy Park in North Lethbridge with the approval of a new construction contract.
January 11, 2016
- Emergency traffic plan for Whoop-Up Drive approved.
- Five ambulances to be replaced over the next two years.
- Construction of change rooms at North Lethbridge Sports park move ahead.
- Historic portion of the Galt Museum to get a facelift