Sign In

Voter Identification

In order to vote, you must produce one piece of authorized identification that establishes both your name and current address. Picture ID is not required.

Please note there are no voting lists.

The following forms of authorized identification with an voter's name and current address will be accepted at Voting Stations:

Government-issued identity documents

  • Operator's (Driver's) License
  • Alberta Identification Card

School, college, or university documents

  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university

Government-issued documents

  • Government cheque or cheque stub
  • Income/property tax assessment notice
  • Statement of government benefits such as employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support, or child tax benefit

Other documents

  • Insurance policy or coverage card
  • Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • Pension Plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement
  • Utility bill: e.g. telephone, public utilities commission, cable, hydro, gas or water
  • Vehicle ownership, registration or insurance certificate

Alternatives to identification (Attestation)

If a voter’s identification shows a post office box number as the address instead of a residential or legal address, it can be accepted as verification of current address if it is in reasonable proximity to the voting jurisdiction.



As a last resort, another elector may vouch for an elector that does not have any acceptable identification available.  The voucher must make a statement that the elector knows the person,, and where they reside.  An elector can only vouch for one person or persons that live at the same residence.

For more information