As part of the preliminary stage of selecting a new city manager, City Council members invited interested Lethbridge residents and organizations to offer their input to aid in the development of a City Manager job profile.
Residents were able to submit their feedback online or by written submission until January 19, 2018. They were also able to share their comments in person with City Council members at a special Community Issues Committee (CIC) meeting held on Monday, January 15. The opportunity to provide feedback is now closed.
Role of the City Manager
- One and only employee of City Council
- The link between City Council and Administration
- Provides support to City Council in policy development and their ability to meet community and customers’ needs
- Implements the policies and programs of City Council
- Advises and informs City Council on the operation and affairs of the municipality
- Is the head of administration
- Leads the organization and is responsible for the effective and efficient operations of the corporation
The search committee includes Mayor Chris Spearman as well as Councillors Jeff Coffman, Belinda Crowson and Joe Mauro. Former City Manager Garth Sherwin retired as of January 3, 2018, and Kathy Hopkins is serving as interim City Manager until Council completes its recruitment process and names a permanent replacement.
Executive Search Firm Odgers Berndtson is leading the City Manager recruitment process and the job posting closes on June 1, 2018.