Sign In

Crossing Permits

If access to a property must be gained by going​ over a sidewalk, boulevard, drain, watercourse or gutter, a Crossing Permit is required. Please refer to the Driveway Crossing Brochure for additional information.

Improperly placed driveway crossings can pose a safety hazard for pedestrian & vehicular traffic, increases your personal liability, and may result in additional costs for removal.


If you are planning a driveway, here is what you need to know: 

  1. A permit is required.
  2. The City of Lethbridge shall construct the crossing or bridging at the applicants expense.
  3. The applicant shall be responsible for all costs associated with the construction, maintenance, repair, operation and replacement of the crossing.
  4. Width of a residential double entrance / exit shall not exceed 8m (26').
  5. The applicant shall indemnify the City of Lethbridge in respect to any and all damages and costs occasioned directly, indirectly, or incidentally by reason or the existence, maintenance, repair, operation or use of said crossing or bridge.
  6. The driveway crossing must lead to a parking spot on private property. Pursuant to By-Law 3446, no parking is allowed in the crossing.

Application Process 

 Private Crossing Application Form 

  1. The Applicant contacts 311 and requests an estimate. The Applicant should provide the proposed driveway crossing width and location.
  2. The request for an estimate will be forwarded to the Transportation Department's Infrastructure Construction & Survey Coordinator.
  3. A review of the property will be performed to determine if the proposed crossing is compliant with the standards. The Applicant should be on site for this review.
  4. If the driveway crossing is compliant the Applicant will be contacted with a price quote. 
  5. If the Applicant approves the quote, they can then indicate they would like to proceed with installation of the crossing.
  6. The Applicant must make payment in full prior to the issuance of the permit and subsequent construction of the crossing. Payment can be made in the form of cash, cheque or P.O. number.
  7. Once payment has been received the City will schedule construction of the crossing.

Contact Us

Please call 311 (local) or 403-320-3111 (out of town) for additional information.