Addition & Renovation Permit
Adding an Addition or making renovations to the interior / exterior of an existing building may also require Professional involvement if the project includes structural changes.
first step of any project is obtaining Development approval. Approval is obtained when a Development Officer reviews the submitted site plan and building drawings and determines that they meet the minimum requirements outlined in
Land Use Bylaw 6300.
- Development officers review each application by first determining which zoning district the parcel is located in. Each residential parcel in the City of Lethbridge has a specific zoning district assigned to it. Within each zoning district is a set of requirements outlining both permitted and discretionary uses of the parcel, minimum parcel sizes, setbacks from parcel lines for principal and accessory buildings, heights of buildings, etc.
Required Permits and Inspections
- Footing & foundation, framing, insulation & vapor barrier, wiring, plumbing, gas and ventilation requirements are to be completed in accordance with applicable codes.
Egress windows for bedrooms must indicate the opening type and meet minimum safety requirements
- Design requirements for Tall Walls are to be addressed.
- Structural members must be specified (floor/roof/deck beams, garage door headers, basement window lintels, etc.)
- Attic access locations and dimensions must be shown.
- Engineered column and pad footing specifications must be provided on foundation plans for point loads in excess of
8000 lbs. unfactored (11600 lbs. factored) loads.
- Unprotected area calculations for glazed openings in exterior walls must be provided.
- ICF block foundations require a copy of the installers certification to be submitted.
- Screw piles or cast in place friction piles are to be designed by a professional engineer.
Permit ApplicationAddition & Renovation Permit:
- Site plan (with Architectural Controls if applicable)
- Floor plans for all floors
- 4 sided building elevations
- Cross section
- Truss floor & roof layouts with corporate letter
- Drawing Details – ie) Tall wall (if applicable)
- Engineered Drawings (if applicable)