Basement development converts unfinished or partially finished areas into livable space which may contain a combination of family, bath and bedrooms.Documents
Required Permits and Inspections
- Framing, insulation & vapor barrier, wiring, plumbing, and ventilation requirements are to be completed in accordance with applicable codes.
Egress windows in bedrooms must meet minimum safety requirements.
- Smoke detectors must be installed on all storeys including basement, in all sleeping rooms and in a location between the sleeping rooms and the remainder of the storey, and if the sleeping rooms are served by a hallway, the smoke alarm shall be in the hallway. (See diagram)
- Mechanical room is to have a minimum 810mm (32") door.
- Handrails are to be installed at stairwell.
- Completed Application Form
- Homeowner Electrical, Plumbing, and declaration forms (applicable if homeowner is not having the work completed by others).
- 1 floor plan drawn to reasonable scale indicating:
o Approximate square footage of area to be developed
o Room labels
o Size and type of egress windows in bedrooms
o Location of smoke detectors