Detached garages, sheds and accessory buildings are free standing structures with independent foundations from the main dwelling.
first step of any project is obtaining Development approval. Approval is obtained when a
Development Officer reviews the submitted site plan and building drawings and determines that they meet the minimum requirements outlined in
Land Use Bylaw 5700.
- Detached garages and sheds are considered Accessory Buildings and have specific requirements which are outlined in
Land Use Bylaw 5700.
All accessory buildings must:
o Be located in side and rear yards only,For further information please contact
Development Services by telephone at
403-320-3920 or by email at
o Be located no closer than 0.60m (2’-0”) to any side and rear property line,
o Be no closer than 1.2m (4’-0”) to the principal building located on the parcel,
o Be no taller than 4.5m (14’-9”) in height,
o Cover no more than 14% of the parcel.
Required Permits & Inspections
Accessory buildings under 10m² (100ft²) are considered moveable structures and do not require a permit.
Building Permit: requires one
Final inspection when siding, soffit and & fascia are complete, prior to insulation & vapor barrier.
Electrical Permit: may be issued to the homeowner or licensed contractor. A
Final Inspection are required.
Gas Permit: will only be issued to a licensed contractor. A
Final inspection are required (if garage is heated).
- Accessory buildings up to 55m² (592ft²) may be supported by a mud sill or floating slab on grade.
- Structures over 55m² (592ft²) and up to a maximum length of 9.14m x 9.14m (30' x 30') are permitted to use the City of Lethbridge approved design for thickened slab on grade or an acceptable independently engineered foundation.
- Accessory buildings with dimensions greater than 9.14m x 9.14m (30' x 30') are required to have full strip footings or an independently engineered foundation.
- 12" max. curb walls are permitted on a 4" floating slab on grade
- 18" max. curb walls may be used for a thickened slab on grade.
- Completed application form
- Homeowner Electrical and Declaration forms (applicable if Homeowner is not having the work completed by others)
- Site plan
- Construction drawings with Truss Manufacturer letter & roof layout, or Vendor supplied material list & installation manual if using a pre-fabricated package.
City of Lethbridge Foundation Detail (if applicable)
- Four sided Elevations