- Fences, provided that they meet the following maximum height requirements, do not require Development approval.
- In all front yards 1.0m (3'3")
- In all side and rear yards 2.0m (6'6")
Corner Parcels (consists of two front yards and two side yards)
- In one front yard 1.0m (3'3")
- In the remaining yards 2.0m (6'6")
- For further information, or to apply for a waiver of these requirements, please contact Development Services by phone at 403-320-3920 or by email at email@example.com
Required Permits & Inspections
- A fence does not require Development approval provided it is a maximum of 1m (3'-3") in height in the front and no more than 2m (6'-6") in height in the side and rear of the property.
- Development Permit: a waiver will be required if the proposed fence is to be built higher than the maximum allowable height as outlined above.
- Building Permit: a fence does not require a building permit unless it encloses a swimming pool or hot tub. (For more information see the Design Considerations in the Section for Hot Tub and Swimming Pool Permits)
- Although the City of Lethbridge does not regulate construction materials or design for fences, your property may be subject to Architectural Requirements by the subdivision Developer.
To apply for a waiver of the maximum height requirements, please provide the following: