Residential hot tubs and pools are to meet the safety requirements of the Building Code. This is to ensure that the public, particularly children, are protected from potential dangers.
- Uncovered permanent or temporary outdoor swimming pools and hot tubs do not require Development approval.
Required Permits and Inspections
Building Permit: A Building Permit is required for a swimming pool, wading pool or hot tub with a depth greater than 600mm (24"). One Final inspection is required.
Electrical Permit: may be issued to the Homeowner or licensed contractor. One
Final inspection is required.
- The entire area of an outdoor swimming pool & hot tub must be protected by an enclosure with a minimum height of 1.8m (5'-11") above ground.
- Access through the fence must be protected by a lockable, self-closing gate the same height as the fence, with a self-latching device on the inside of the gate not less than 1.5m (4'-11") above the ground.
- Provide a cover that has been designed and constructed in conformance with ASTM F 1346, "Safety Covers and Labelling Requirements for All Covers for Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs" and is provided with lockable devices to prevent access to the water by unauthorized persons.
Apply online with
Construction value of the tub / pool installation
Specifications for the hot tub indicating CSA certification
- Site plan showing the location of the hot tub or swimming pool