How to determine when a permit is required for residential construction projects? Please check the Building Permit Brochure for additional information.
A permit is NOT required for:
Permits ARE required for:
- Construction or additions to a new building.
- Construction of retaining walls greater than 0.90 m (3’ 0”) in height.
- Construction of all covered decks.
- Construction of uncovered decks over 0.6m (approx. 2’0”) in height from the standing platform to grade.
- Hot tubs and swimming pools.
- Demolition of an existing building or structure.
- Repair or alteration of an existing building or structure including damage from a fire, flood, earthquake or other cause.
Please visit the Permits & Applications Hub for more detailed guidelines on the application procedure, necessary construction drawings and frequently asked questions on requirements for specific types of projects.