An uncovered deck is an open, elevated porch with no roof, extending from a building.
The first step of any project
is obtaining Development approval. Approval is obtained when a Development Officer reviews the submitted site plan and building drawings and determines that they meet the minimum requirements outlined in Land Use Bylaw 5700
o Front – 6.00m (20’0”)
o Side – 1.2m (4’0”)
o Rear – 5.0m (16’6”)
Required Permits & Inspections
- Decks with a walking surface of 600mm (24”) or less are considered landscaping and do not require permits.
- If the walking surface is greater than 600mm (24”) above grade, a Development Permit and Building Permit are necessary. A Final inspection will be required once all work is completed.
- Decks with a walking surface of less than 900mm (36”) in height may be supported with a combined concrete pier and sidewalk block on grade.
- Decks with a walking surface of greater than 900mm (36”) in height are required to be supported on either:
o Pier/post on pad footing, min. 1200mm (48”) below grade
o Engineered concrete piles
o Engineered screw piles
Joists, Beams & Decking
- Deck joists, rim boards and beams must be designed in accordance with span tables from either the Alberta Building Code or the Canadian Wood Council Span Book.
- Decking materials should be chosen in accordance with good building practice, and composite materials must be approved by the Canadian Construction Materials Center (CCMC).
- Decks must be constructed to maintain access to gas & electric meters (if applicable).
Hand & Guard Rails
- 900mm (36”) guardrails may be used on a deck with a walking surface of up to 1800mm (5’-11”) in height from grade.
- 1070mm (42”) guardrails are required on decks with surface heights exceeding 1800mm (5’-11”) from grade.
- Handrails are required when steps exceed more than 3 risers, regardless of height, and on both sides of the stairwell if the width is greater than 1100mm (43 ½”).
- Completed application form
- Completed Deck Construction Design Template (Optional)
- 1 set of construction drawings containing:
o Site Plan: showing location of gas/electrical meters (if applicable)
o Elevation Drawings: showing deck height
o Top plan view: all construction members specified
o Cross Section: showing deck height & supporting foundation