The process of great city-building is an evolving and ongoing endeavour. Good ideas emerge and are continuously improved upon to achieve success. As such, Downtown revitalization is considered to be an ongoing campaign rather than a project or program.
Marianne Williamson, a renowned author and lecturer once said that:
"In every community there is work to be done. In every heart there is the power to do it."
In 2016, the Heart of Our City Committee commemorated the 10th anniversary of the Heart of Our City Master Plan with a celebratory event. The event, which recognized individuals, businesses and organizations for their outstanding efforts in enhancing our downtown, was well-received. There are still many outstanding individuals, businesses and organizations deserving of special recognition so the Heart of Our City Committee has decided to hold the event again this year.
The HOC is inviting the community to nominate the individuals, businesses, organizations and programs that have made contributions that exemplify the vision and pillars of the revitalization of our Downtown. These outstanding individuals, businesses and organizations have invested time, ideas and capital into the Downtown to make it more beautiful, livable, exciting, vibrant, accessible and sustainable. The Heart of Our City Committee is pleased to recognize the tremendous work that is taking place in our downtown community every day. This annual event will provide an opportunity for Downtown Champions, those friends, neighbours, colleagues and community members, to meet, mingle and network.
2019 Celebrate Downtown
Recognition Awards will be presented at the Celebrate Downtown event Thursday, April 11, 2019, 5:30 - 7:30 pm at the Multicultural Centre (421 6 Ave South).
Award categories include:
- Unsung Hero Award: committed to taking care of the downtown community, often without recognition or praise.
- Transformation Award: leading the transformation of downtown spaces, business, and activities.
- Innovator Award: takes risks and is not scared to challenge the status quo as they work to create, maintain, support, and promote an exciting downtown.
- From the Heart Award: social change agent, working to make downtown a welcoming place for all.
- Event of the Year: event committed to creating a vibrant and inclusive downtown.
- Volunteer of the Year: someone who freely gives up their time and energy to benefit Downtown.
- People's Choice Award: overall downtown champion.
Nominations can be found at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9TG6W6S and will remain open until March 1, 2019.
Details on sponsorship opportunities and more information on the event can be found at www.facebook.com/celebratedowntownlethbridge.