Sign In

News Centre

Category Image

Chlorine levels in city water increased

Residents may notice a stronger than usual chlorine odor and taste to the City's water supply as chlorine levels have been increased in recent days. The water remains safe for drinking, cooking and bathing. 

Recent warm weather run-off has affected the quality of the water being withdrawn from the river and entering the Water Treatment Plant. In order to assure continued, safe drinking water to the community, plant staff have increased the levels of chlorine in the water. This change will likely be noticeable for the next few days as it makes its way through the system.

Chlorine is used to disinfect water so it is safe for drinking purposes. This chemical destroys micro-organisms such as bacteria and viruses that can pose a threat to public health.

For more information on the City's water treatment process visit www.lethbridge.ca/water.  For public inquiries contact 311.