March 27, 2020
As the City of Lethbridge continues to manage the local response to COVID-19, resources are being put in place to help the city's homeless population, including new spaces for social distancing and self-isolation. Details here.
In order to limit the number of people visiting the Waste and Recycling Centre (landfill) the City of Lethbridge is suspending the free Saturday drop off program until further notice. Details here.
The ongoing nature of the COVID-19 pandemic is adding a lot of financial uncertainty and added stress to residents and businesses. Given the financial impact of residential and non-residential property tax bills, which includes the provincial education property tax, all options for property tax support are being looked at. Details here.
March 25, 2020
March 23, 2020
- River Valley fire ban in place to encourage social distancing. Details here.
- We are working with the community to identify all organizations and businesses that are providing supports and services during COVID-19 and list them in one location
March 18, 2020
- New preventative measures including public closure of City Hall
March 17, 2020
- Update: Access-A-Ride Essential Travel Only & Animal Shelter Visitor Limitation
March 16, 2020
March 15, 2020
As a precautionary measure, we have closed all City recreation and culture facilities until further notice. The health and safety of our community is our number one priority as we focused on minimizing the transmission of COVID-19.
Learn more here.
March 13, 2020
March 12, 2020
Our number one priority will always be to protect the health and safety of our residents and employees.
Our City leadership team is meeting regularly to discuss the COVID-19 situation and proactively plan contingencies for essential City services should there be any interruptions in available staff or resources.
We are also working with departments on how we can ensure we are doing everything possible to limit the transmission of the virus including adding additional ways for residents to sanitize their hands as well as increasing the frequency City facilities are being cleaned, to name a few.
We are reviewing City-organized events, using the evaluation tool provided by the Public Health Agency of Canada to determine if they should go forward and mitigate risk to the community.
As the COVID-19 situation evolves and changes, the City will continue to be diligent in monitoring and follow the recommendations of our local health authorities and the World Health Organization
- Fare payment is not required to use Transit services, including Regular and Access-a-Ride
- All passengers are being asked to enter and exit Regular Transit buses using the rear door. Front door access will be limited to people with mobility challenges only
- The community is asked to use Transit for essential travel only, including travel to work, grocery shopping and medical appointments
- Lethbridge residents will have the option to defer City utility payments for up to 90-days when faced with financial hardships related to COVID-19.
- The deferral period will last from March 18, 2020 until June 18, 2020
- This is a deferral program not a cancellation program – you will need to set up a payment plan after the 90 day deferral period.
- If possible, we recommend setting up the payment plan today. Making even a small payment today can help to ease your payment burden in the future.
- All residents have access to utilities at this time and utility customers will not be disconnected due to an overdue account.
2020 Residential and Non-Residential Property Tax
Given the financial impact of residential and non-residential property tax bills, which includes the provincial education property tax, all options are still being considered for property tax support.
Update from March 27, 2020
As the City of Lethbridge continues to manage the local response to COVID-19, resources are being put in place to help the city's homeless population, including new spaces for social distancing and self-isolation.
- The City of Lethbridge has mobilized an emergency social service committee in response to the COVID-19 virus.
- This group is working closely with Alberta Health Services and the agencies that serve our vulnerable populations to ensure these groups have the needed housing, health care and other supports they require.