A review of City Council's governance and budget processes, a more efficient transit system, a comprehensive housing strategy, and airport revitalization are among several strategic objectives Council has set out for the next four years.
Council members today approved the Council Strategic Plan which sets out how they intend to achieve five broad strategic goals between now and 2021: Accountable Leadership; Financial Stewardship and Economic Prosperity; Liveable Communities; Compassionate Community; and People Places for All.
"We've worked hard as Council the past several months to develop a strategic plan that calls for us to demonstrate strong leadership and decisiveness and sets out specific, measureable actions," says Mayor Chris Spearman. "We want to be known as a council that leads, listens and is approachable, that fosters options for business and is open to doing things differently, that collaborates for community success, and that is an effective, innovative partner for other orders of government."
Other objectives in the plan include:
- Seeking feedback regularly from citizens on community issues
- Working with business to identify barriers to investment
- Promoting Lethbridge through a community brand
- Ensuring City services, programs and facilities are inclusive
- Identifying housing needs and facilitating proposals that satisfy gaps in the local housing market
- Establishing viable options for a Performing Arts Centre
- Working with developers to ensure design of pedestrian-friendly commercial areas
The complete Council Strategic Plan 2017-2027 is available at www.lethbridge.ca/StrategicPlan.
Gerald Gauthier, Communications Consultant
City of Lethbridge