Lethbridge City Council values the input of residents and is currently accepting applications for a number of public member vacancies for their Boards, Commissions and Committees (BCCs). Each public role provides citizens with an opportunity to participate in the present and future direction of the city, through various capacities.
The Office of the City Clerk oversees board-member recruitment, appointments and training, as well as the establishment and classification of new committees, and assists Council in developing guidelines for these bodies. Application forms will open starting July 12 for the 30 current public member openings:
- Animal Welfare Committee - Vacant Positions (4): Public members. The Animal Welfare Committee advises City Council on projects to improve the welfare of animals in the City, including the reduction of feral cat colonies in the City and the spay/neuter program of the No Kill Alliance (NOKA).
- Assessment Review Board - Vacant Position (1): Public member. The Assessment Review Board is a semi-judicial body established in accordance with section 454 of the Municipal Government Act, R.S.A. 2000, c. M-26. This body is established to field appeals to the assessed values of properties and other items taxed by the City of Lethbridge.
- Chinook Arch Regional Library Board - Vacant Position (1): Public member. The Chinook Arch Regional Library Board is responsible for the overall governance of the Chinook Arch Regional Library System including the following functions: governance policy; financial review; planning; marketing; and communications.
- Combative Sports Commission - Vacant Positions (6): Public members. The Combative Sports Commission will regulate, govern and control boxing, kickboxing, martial arts, and wrestling bouts, contests, and exhibitions held within the city of Lethbridge. The Combative Sports Commission is committed to providing a safe environment for both participants and spectators. It stresses the need to ensure fairness and safety for all Combatants.
- Galt Museum & Archives Board - Vacant Positions (2): Public members. The Galt Museum & Archives aims to educate our communities, preserve our histories, and develop a culture of progress and growth. The Museum's Board of Directors is appointed by City Council to set objectives and operating policies, ensuring that the public has a say in how their space is used.
- Heart of Our City Committee - Vacant Positions (2): Public members. The Heart of Our City Committee champions the revitalization of Downtown Lethbridge through implementation of the Heart of Our City Master Plan, and to provide strategic leadership in this regard. The Committee makes recommendations to Council on planning and development matters; monitors planning and development applications; advises on business planning pertaining to Downtown Revitalization.
- Historic Places Advisory Committee - Vacant Position (1): Public member. The Historic Places Advisory Committee evaluates and makes recommendations to City Council regarding the potential designation of historical properties.
- Lethbridge Library Board - Vacant Positions (6): Public members. The Lethbridge Library Board is a policy-governed board which advocates for exemplary library services within the City of Lethbridge. The Board establishes a Plan of Service, approves Board policies, prepares budgets, and employs the Chief Executive Officer who manages the Library in accordance with the Board's strategic initiatives, agreements and policies.
- Lethbridge Police Commission - Vacant Positions (2): Public members. The Lethbridge Police Commission is a statutory body created under the Alberta Police Act to oversee the Lethbridge Police Service. The Commission has the following responsibilities: Appointing the Chief of Police and evaluating their performance; Establishing policies that provide for efficient and effective policing; Issuing instructions as necessary to the Chief in regard to policy; Ensuring a sufficient level of personnel to carry out the functions of the Police Service; and Representing the interests and concerns of the public.
- Municipal Planning Commission - Vacant Positions (2): Public members. The mandate of the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) is to advise and decide on land use, planning, development and subdivision issues. They act as the principal advisory committee of City Council for planning matters.
- Subdivision and Appeal Board - Vacant Positions (2): Public members. Quasi-judicial Board established to hear appeals on decisions of the Development Authority or Subdivision Authority in relation to a development permit application or a subdivision application.
- Youth Advisory Council - Vacant Position (1) Public member. The Youth Advisory Council exists to foster a relationship between Lethbridge City Council and the youth of the City of Lethbridge through Advocacy, Education and Engagement.
Please refer to the list of Boards, Commissions and Committees on the City website for more information on eligibility, length of term, meetings times etc. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at 403-320-3019, email: email@example.com, or view the application form online at https://www.lethbridge.ca/City-Government/Boards-Commissions-Committees/Pages/Boards-Commissions-and-Committee-Member-Vacancies.aspx#.