Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services responded to a residential fire at a duplex building in the 3800 block of 20 Avenue South at approximately 2:15 p.m. on Tuesday.
Two stations responded to the home and extinguished the fire on the balcony. An individual was spraying the fire with a garden hose which helped to prevent spread and major damage.
There were no injuries reported and total damages are estimated at $20,000.
The fire has been investigated and determined that improper extinguished smoking material to be the most likely cause.
Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services would like to remind residents that when extinguishing smoking materials, ensure it is always disposed of properly, in a non-combustible container filled with sand or water.
Fire Prevention Officer