With heat warnings issued this week for Lethbridge, residents and visitors are encouraged to visit air-conditioned City facilities if they're looking for relief.
Pools and arenas are ideal places to cool off. Pool schedules for all pools operated by the three contracted pool operators can be found online at www.lethbridge.ca/pools or by calling 311. Public skating schedules are available by calling the 24-Hour Public Skating Hotline at 403-320-7971 or online at www.lethbridge.ca/arenas. In addition, facilities such as Casa, Galt Museum, SAAG, Helen Schuler Nature Centre and both branches of the Lethbridge Public Library are great places to stop in and cool off.
While heat can put anyone at risk from heat illnesses, health risks are greatest for older adults, infants and young children and people with chronic illnesses. For more information on heat related illness visit www.myhealth.alberta.ca or call Health Link Alberta at 811.
Hot Weather Tips:
- Drink plenty of liquids especially water before you feel thirsty to decrease your risk of dehydration.
- Frequently visit neighbours, friends and older family members, especially those who are chronically ill, to make sure that they are cool and hydrated.
- Reschedule or plan outdoor activities during cooler parts of the day.
- Take a break from the heat by spending a few hours in a cool place.
- Never leave people or pets inside a parked vehicle or in direct sunlight.