Aquatic facility operators around the city are working hard to ensure a variety of swimming options are available for the community this summer.
Although some of the facility openings have been gradual due to changing provincial public health guidelines, all facility operators are working toward resuming normal operations.
"Our operators have done an incredible job of making sure the community has as many aquatics options as possible while they re-open under continually changing guidelines," says Robin Harper, General Manager of Recreation and Culture at the City of Lethbridge. "I want to commend our partners for continually pivoting during the COVID-19 pandemic and always keeping the health and safety of the community in mind."
The Cor Van Raay YMCA is re-opening at full capacity with no restrictions on July 2. Pools operated by Recreation Excellence are continuing to adjust their scheduling and programming as public health guidelines are lifted and staff are hired.
"We are focused on hiring and training a full complement of staff so we can return to normal operations in the near future," says Sunni Belle, General Manager of Recreation Excellence. "We will continue to look at creative ways to expand programming and make adjustments to capacity as we continue to expand our team and provide the best possible experience for our visitors."
At this time, the following facilities operated by Recreation Excellence remain closed:
- Nicholas Sheran Pool
- Fritz Sick Pool
Visitors are encouraged to plan out their trips to aquatic facilities using facility websites or phone numbers.
Here's the current status of aquatic facilities around Lethbridge:
Henderson Pool (operated by Recreation Excellence)
- Open with capacity restrictions of 600 as of July 1. The pool will continue to work toward regular operations in a staged approach as trained staff become available.
- Pre-booking is not required but pool programming has changed. As of July 1, public swimming is available in two time slots: 12 – 3:30 p.m. and 4 – 7:30 p.m.
- Swim lessons and fitness classes are now available
Recreation Excellence continues to evaluate opportunities for expanded public swimming and programming as staffing levels return to normal. Visitors can view the schedules, programming options and guidelines at www.lethbridge.ca/HendersonPool or call 403-320-3056.
Westminster Outdoor Pool (operated by Westminster Neighbourhood Association)
- Visitors can access lane swim, public swim or book a private pool rental.
For more information, visit www.facebook.com/westminster.na or call 403-329-3058.
Cor Van Raay YMCA at ATB Centre
- Fully open to the public on July 2 with no restrictions
- All fitness, gymnasium and aquatics amenities are open with no pre-booking required
- Programming, lessons and summer camps are available
Call 403-942-5757 or visit www.lethbridgeymca.ca for more information.
Max Bell Aquatic Centre (University of Lethbridge)
- Booking available for lane swim and private swim lessons
- Options for competitive swim clubs and private bookings
- Utilized for University of Lethbridge summer camps
Call 403-329-2706 or visit www.uleth.ca/sportrec for additional information.
Stan Siwik Pool (operated by Recreation Excellence)
- Open with no restrictions as of July 2 (closed July 1)
- Regular operations resume with no pre-booking required
- Public swimming, aquatic programming and swim lessons available
- Weight room is open with no restrictions.
Call 403-320-3054 or visit www.lethbridge.ca/swimming. Recreation Excellence continues to evaluate opportunities for expanded public swimming and programming as staffing levels return to normal.
Rotary Spray Park
(expanded hours due to heat)
- Operational 8 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Gyro Spray Park
- Operational 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Visit www.lethbridge.ca/sprayparks for more information.
For Public Inquiries:
Call 311 | Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.