Lethbridge property owners are reminded that the 2021 property taxes must be paid in full by September 30, 2021 to avoid being penalized.
Recognizing the ongoing financial impact COVID-19 has had on residents, City Council approved changes to 2021 property tax penalty dates to provide property owners with an additional 92-day deferral on their property tax account.
Any outstanding property tax balances as of October 1 will have a three percent penalty applied, which amounts to $30 for every $1,000 in outstanding property taxes. The penalty is four per cent on November 1 and, five per cent on December 1. For more information visit lethbridge.ca/taxes.
If you have recently purchased property and/or have not received a 2021 Tax Notice, please contact 311. Late payment penalties will not be waived if you did not receive your tax notice.
For your convenience, your tax payments can be made using several methods:
- Online banking using the 13-digit roll number located in the top right section of your tax notice;
- Cheques or money orders (do not enclose cash) can be mailed to:
- City Hall, 910-4 Ave S, Lethbridge AB, T1J 0P6;
- Or cheques and money orders can be dropped off using the drop box at the front door of City Hall or the drive-thru drop box in the circle behind City Hall;
- Directly at your bank and the City will accept the teller stamp date as the date of payment received;
- Cash, cheques and debit card payments are accepted by cashiers on the main floor at City Hall from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The City does not accept credit card payments for property taxes.
Please note that City Hall will be closed September 30 in recognition of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation holiday. If you plan on making payment in person, you must come no later than September 29.
To avoid potential line ups and maintain proper distancing requirements, the City encourages property owners not to leave payments until the last minute.
Another way to avoid late payment penalties in the future is to enroll in our convenient monthly Tax Instalment Prepayment Plan (TIPP), which reduces your tax with a 0.75% annual discount credit. Property owners whose 2021 taxes are paid in full can sign up for TIPP before October 20 to be enrolled in the program for their 2022 property taxes. Please visit www.lethbridge.ca/tipp.
Property owners can sign up to receive their future property tax notices by email or view their 2021 property tax notice online at www.lethbridge.ca/MyCity.
For Public Inquiries:
Call 311 | Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.