UPDATED - March 4
Further to the report of a structure fire in a residential multi-unit building in the 800 block of 4 Street South Thursday afternoon, fire investigators have determined the fire was accidental. The fire, which started in the kitchen, was quickly extinguished and persons affected by smoke and cold weather conditions were evaluated by paramedics and cleared on scene. Damage is estimated to be $75,000.00.
Fire and Emergency Services wish to remind people not leave stoves and ovens unattended when cooking.
Fire crews responded to a fire at a multi-unit residential building in the 800 block of 4 Street South at about 3 p.m. Thursday afternoon.
Crews from five stations arrived on scene to heavy dark smoke coming out of the main floor of a multi-unit dwelling.
Some residents were trapped inside and unable to self-evacuate due to heavy smoke. Crews quickly laddered the building and brought seven residents safely out of the structure.
There were no injuries reported.
Crews extinguished the fire and very little structure was affected. The multi-story building was evacuated, cleared of smoke and residents were able to re-enter their homes.
The fire is under investigation and a damage estimate is not yet available.
For Public Inquiries:
Call 311 | Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.