At 12:45 p.m., Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services attended a residence on McMaster Blvd W for a fire located on the rear deck of the home. The residents were at home having a fire in the enclosed fireplace when they noticed smoke and flames coming from within the wall structure of the deck.
Three fire stations responded with 21 crew members. Fire crews were able to quickly knock down the fire and prevent it from spreading to the house. Damage is estimated at $25,000. Fire damage was limited to the deck wall and roof structure with smoke damage to the exterior of the house.
Lethbridge Fire and Emergency services reminds citizens to have yearly checks on their fireplaces to ensure safe operation.
Dave Heatherington, Platoon Chief