Many Lethbridge residents may currently have extra time to begin or complete renovations.
To ensure they are done properly, before proceeding they are encouraged to check if their projects require permits. Some projects do not require permits, however many of them do. Permit regulations are legislated by the Province of Alberta and the City of Lethbridge is mandated to ensure compliance.
Although Lethbridge City Hall is currently closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is still open for business through eApply and staff are available for questions by telephone. Homeowners are reminded to ensure permits are in place prior to beginning (or completing) renovations etc.
Permits and approvals ARE required prior to work commencing for:
- Construction or additions to a new building.
- Interior alterations/ modifications.
- Construction of retaining walls greater than 0.90 m (3' 0") in height.
- Construction of all covered decks.
- Construction of uncovered decks over 0.6m (approx. 2'0") in height from the standing platform to the average grade.
- Hot tubs and swimming pools.
- Permits for other projects may also be required, please see contact information below.
Permits are NOT required for:
- Minor repairs, painting, decorating or re-roofing if there are no structural changes to the building and matters affecting health or safety are not at risk.
- A single story accessory building not greater than 10 m² in building area providing it does not create a hazard.
- Repair or alterations to any heating, ventilation or air conditioning system which are of a minor nature and which, in the opinion of the Safety Codes Officer, will not hinder the satisfactory operation of the system and does not involve the health or safety of the occupants of the building.
- NOTE: Additional permits may be required for Electrical, Plumbing, Gas and Heating/Ventilation.
Please visit the Permits & Applications Hub (https://www.lethbridge.ca/Doing-Business/Planning-Development/Permits-Applications/Pages/Permit-Hub.aspx) for more detailed guidelines on the application procedure, necessary construction drawings and frequently asked questions on requirements for specific types of projects.
For Public Inquiries:
Call 311 | Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Building Inspection Services
Manager, Building Inspections
City of Lethbridge