Sign In

News Centre

Category Image

Time Change and Safety Check

‚ÄčIt's time to spring forward and when clocks move ahead on March 11, it's also a reminder to take important safety measure to protect your family. City of Lethbridge, Fire & Emergency Services encourages residents to take time this weekend to change their smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries.

A working smoke detector is your best tool for surviving a fire. Lethbridge firefighters responded to over 121 calls in 2017 when smoke detectors warned residents to leave their homes and call 911. Cooking and improper disposal of smoking material were the leading causes for these responses.

The department also responded to eight calls last year related to carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is often called the "silent killer" because it is an odourless, colourless gas that can be poisonous and even cause death. A carbon monoxide detector is the best way to protect you and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning. Heating and cooking equipment that burns fuel, like furnaces and stoves are common sources of carbon monoxide. CO alarms should be installed where they can be easily heard, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.

The time change is always a good reminder to check your smoke and CO detector and make sure they are in working order. These detector often have expiration dates and should be replaced at least every 10 years. Residents are reminded to test alarms monthly and ensure everyone in the house knows what they sound like.

For more information contact: 
Troy Hicks
Fire Prevention Officer
403-320-3135