Sign In

News Centre

Category Image

Investigation of west Lethbridge residential fire concludes

‚ÄčOn September 15, 2018, 17 Lethbridge firefighters from three stations responded to a fire at a residence along Lafayette Boulevard West.

Crews arrived to find the structure fully engulfed in flames and the family outside the residence. One occupant had sustained non-life threatening injuries resulting from the fire.

Fire investigators were on scene while the fire was still burning and returned on Monday and Tuesday to complete a full investigation. The fire was determined to be accidental and the cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical failure of a low grade power bar.

The Fire Prevention Bureau encourages residents to always use electrical devices, such as extension cords and power bars, which have been tested and certified to Canadian Standards. Some examples of the symbols you should see are as follows:

For more information on these certifications, please contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at (403)320-3811.

Thank you to the members of the public who sent in photographs and videos of the fire. Images captured of the fire in its early stages and in particular, before fire crews arrive, were extremely helpful in the investigation.

Media Contact:
Adam Saturley, Fire Investigator  
Lethbridge Fire and Emergency Services
Phone: 403-320-4110