City of Lethbridge Crest/Coat of Arms
The Coat-of-Arms of Lethbridge is an official symbol of the City. Lethbridge was incorporated as a City on May 9, 1906. On July 2, 1907 a Committee of the Whole approved an offer by Alderman Charles Broughton Bowman to donate a $25 cash award for the best city coat-of-arms design. The winner of the contest was Rev. John Stanley Chivers, Rector of St. Augustine’s Anglican Church. His design was formally adopted by Motion of Council on September 16, 1907. Today, the 1907 City Coat-of-Arms is known as the City of Lethbridge Crest.
- The crown above a coat-of-arms signified Canada’s allegiance to the British Crown
- The central medallion was rounded with three divisions, blue (azure), red (gules) and brown (ochre) with symbols representing the foundations of the City’s economy in 1906-07:
- Coal mining (arm with miner’s pick)
- Transportation (locomotive)
- Agriculture (wheat sheaf)
- The circular scroll reads City of Lethbridge • 1890 • 1906, the town and city incorporation years respectively
- The panoramic view below portrayed the wheat fields and mine working buildings of southern Alberta against a background of mountains and foothills resting on the City motto: Ad Occasion Januam (Latin for "Gateway to Opportunity")
City of Lethbridge Logo
In 1986, a logo was designed by Baker Lovick, a Calgary public relations firm, for the City’s Economic Development Department. In June 1987 the logo was adopted for use on all City stationary and business cards. The wavy line represents water, the circle represents the sun, and the deciduous leaf represents the monocotyledon, wheat.
Reiteration of the City Crest
In 2000 City Council retired the logo and returned to the use of the City of Lethbridge crest. In 2005 City Council reiterated use of the Lethbridge Crest.
Since then, based on input from several City of Lethbridge departments, a digital version of the old crest was created – to sharpen up the lines, simplify it and reduce the amount of colours. The crest was modified to include the words “City of Lethbridge” within the graphic, the colours were changed to black or black and gold and a stacked version was created. Either version in either colour can be used, depending on the application. The changes were made to ensure easy identification and consistency.
Click here to view the City of Lethbridge Crest Guidelines.
Flag of Lethbridge
The Flag of Lethbridge was adopted in 1967, the year of Canada's centennial. It is based on the flag that was once flown at Fort Whoop-Up.
Artist Alex Johnston used a photograph of the flag that flew at Fort Whoop-Up in the late 19th century as the basis for his rendition of the modern flag. He also used some contemporary written descriptions. Contemporary views thought that it was the Stars & Stripes, this angered the Canadian Government because they believed that the traders were deliberately flying the American Flag. Using this knowledge, Johnson knew that the flag was red, white and blue - the same colours as the American Flag.
On March 22, 1971, Lethbridge City Council officially adopted this flag as the official municipal flag for the City of Lethbridge.
City of Lethbridge Floral Emblem
On February 22, 1933, members of the Lethbridge Horticultural Society appeared before City Council to suggest that the gladiolus be adopted as the City's Floral Emblem. The gladiolus was suggested because it was colourful and grew readily in Lethbridge and surrounding area. The Lethbridge Horticultural Society was thanked for their presentation but no future action was taken.
Nothing further was heard about it for the next 17 years. On September 25, 1950 the Society once again contacted City Council about the official City flower. City Council was much more receptive this time and approved the resolution to officially adopt the gladiolus as the official flower of the City.
The Lethbridge and District Gladiolus Society was formed in 1954. This was an indication of the interest that this flower had in Lethbridge. Starting in 1964 a very successful gladiolus show was held in conjunction with the Lethbridge Gladiolus and Square Dance Festival.
In 1983, a new gladiolus, Miss Lethbridge 300 was released. It was the result of eight years of hybridization by Larry Lancombe of the Lethbridge and District Horticultural Society.
Official Gemstone of Lethbridge
Ammolite - Lethbridge’s Official Gemstone First discovered in southern Alberta in 1978 and given official gemstone status in 1981, Ammolite, with its glorious colours, is truly a wonder of nature. The gemstone Ammolite is created from the shell of the Ammonite, an ancient marine fossil. Ammonite fossils are found all over the world in rock formations from 225 to 65 million years old, but only in southern Alberta can Ammonites be found in all colours of the rainbow.
Colourful Canadian Ammonites are cherished by collectors and are on display at the most prominent museums worldwide. Prices are determined first by quality, brightness and range of colour in the fossil, then by the size, and finally, by the shape of the fossil. The top 5 grades of Ammolite (A & AA) found in southern Alberta represent only 5-10% of the gem material that is mined. The rarest and most desirable colour of Ammolite is blue, though the gemstone still looks brilliant in beautiful shades of reds, yellows and greens. The colour of Ammolite is created by light reflecting through the layers of the gemstone. It is believed that the colour is enhanced and intensified by trace minerals found in our southern Alberta soil.
The supply of top grade Ammolite is extremely limited, and may be exhausted within 15-20 years. This makes Ammolite one of nature’s rarest gems.
Official Tartan of Lethbridge
Produced for the Millennium celebration in the year 2000 by the Lethbridge Handicraft Guild. This design has nine colours. It has been registered with the Scottish Register of Tartans.