When emergency situations arise, CALL 911
The City of Lethbridge reminds river valley park users to:
- Use caution when walking along the river edge and banks.
- Keep dogs on leash if you are concerned about their safety near the river in off-leash parks.
- DO NOT walk on river ice, it is extremely dangerous!
- DO NOT enter river if your pet has fallen through the ice, coax them to shore if possible or call 911.
Our Lethbridge Fire Department:
- is highly trained in various areas of rescue or recovery
- operates an Aquatic Rescue team
- specially trained in swift water, weir, shore, boat and ice rescue
- owns boats, weir rescue deck, ice rescue platform and dive equipment
For more information about swimming and water safety from the Red Cross click here
Lethbridge is home to prairie
rattlesnakes which means that residents may encounter them when exploring our
coulees or occasionally in urban areas. The majority of rattlesnake sightings
are in west Lethbridge although snakes have been observed in the coulee
areas on the east side of the Oldman River.
If you require a rattlesnake to be relocated, please contact the following:
To report rattlesnake sightings, please contact the Helen Schuler Nature Centre at 403 320 3064. We appreciate your help!
Efforts will be made to capture and remove all rattlesnakes from urban and recreational areas. Captured rattlesnakes are relocated to more secure habitat where human/snake conflicts will be minimized. This is viewed as a long-term solution to human/snake conflicts in Lethbridge’s residential and recreational areas.
Trail Safety and Courtesy
Pathways are used by both cyclists and pedestrians, so please share the trails with all recreational users. By following some simple guidelines, you can ensure that everyone enjoys themselves. Please always stay to the right of the centre of the pathway and only use half the width of one pathway.
- Wear a helmet!
- Ride Responsibly
- Travel at a safe, controlled speed
- Use hand signals and warn others when passing
- Share the path
For more information about sharing the path safely with cyclists, click here