We do everything we can to return lost pets to their families. Licensed pets, however, have a much better chance of being returned to their owners.
If a dog or cat is not wearing a license it makes it very difficult to locate the owner. If no one claims the dog or cat within 72 hours the animal becomes eligible for adoption to a new, caring family. If you find a lost dog or cat or want to adopt one, please phone us at 403 320 4099 or
view the current pets for adoption.
Why should I license my dog with the City of Lethbridge?
Here are a few good reasons why:
- It is the law and is less expensive than being caught without a license and having to pay a fine.
- If your dog or cat goes missing, there is a greater chance to be reunited.
- If we find your pet and it is injured and needs special medical attention, you can be notified immediately for the best care possible.
- If your dog goes missing and is picked up by an Animal Control Officer, he/she will get a free ride home the first time or a freebie if it ends up visiting us in the Shelter.
- If your cat or dog is licensed and ends up in the Shelter, it has a longer holding period than if not licensed with the City of Lethbridge. (10 days holding period rather than three for unlicensed dogs).
- Licensing pets allows for the City of Lethbridge to know how many dogs are in the city and what the needs may be.
All dogs six months and older must be licensed.
How do I register (license) my pets?
Initial registration (licensing) for your cat or dog must be done in person at City Hall or at the Animal Shelter. Please bring government ID for the owner(s) of the animal(s) and any documentation showing that the pet has been spayed or neutered, and if it has a microchip or tattoo. You do not need to bring the animal with you to license it.
Payment for licenses can be made with cash, credit or debit.
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Residents wanting to submit a photo of their pet to be attached to their dog license file can email
This means that if a pet is lost, he or she can be identified visually by an Animal Control Officer by referencing the photo on the account.
How much is it to license my dog per year?
$50.00 – Not fixed and no microchip or tattoo (ID)
$45.00 – Not fixed but has either a microchip and/or tattoo
$25.00 – Fixed but no microchip or tattoo
$20.00 – Fixed and has a microchip and/or tattoo
Only 2 dogs are allowed in a household at one time without the purchase of a Fancier’s License.
$20.00 – Fancier’s License (per year)
Dog Fancier's License
If you own two dogs or less, you can obtain City licenses at the
Lethbridge Animal Shelter
or on the 1st floor of City Hall at 910 4th Avenue South.
The City of Lethbridge offers a one time $10.00 fee for a cat license. This license assists in identifying your cat and getting him/her home if lost. Cat licenses can be purchased at the Shelter or at City Hall.
Where do the collected license fees go?
- Helps support the Shelter so that we can help you reconnect with your pets.
- Helps ensure that lost and stray animals have a safe place to be until the owners or a new home can be found.
- Helps with public education programs.
- Helps with maintaining the dog parks around the City of Lethbridge.
- Help with the cost of running the Animal Shelter.
If there is a change in your account, please notify us at 403 320 4099 (address change or change in ownership of dog). You can pay your annual license fee online
, by mail, in person or at a City of Lethbridge depository. For more information, phone us at 403 320 4099.