Royal View Memorial Cemetery
Located at 5920 13 Street North
- Royal View Memorial Cemetery opened in August of 2013, the first interment occurred in September of 2013.
- The cemetery entrance is just north of the Pavan Park road
- Cemetery named Royal View Memorial Cemetery October 4, 2011.
- Royal View Memorial Cemetery Official Ground Breaking May 8, 2012
- 350 trees and 525 shrubs were planted in the fall of 2012 with the remainder added in the spring of 2013
The History Behind the Name
- March 4, 2010 a group of staff members at the Galt Museum suggested the name Royal View based on the cemeteries proximity (just two kilometres north of the site) to an old mining town; to give you an idea of the actual location of the town there was a suspension bridge across the river from Diamond City to Royal View back in the day
- According to the Galt Museum historical data; the town of Royal View started somewhere around 1908 and lasted until the 1920s (in particular the school)
- In 1910 the town had a population of about 400 but was pretty much completely gone a decade later.
- Royal View (the town) was also known as Royal City and as Coal City
- It shared its name with the Royal View Mine that was also located in that area
- The mine operated from 1923 to 1942
- The Royal Collieries Ltd. operated from 1907 to 1912
- The Royal Lethbridge Collieries Ltd. operated from 1925 to 1928 and the New Royal View Mine from 1944 to 1946
Read more about the Royal View Mine