Be in the know:
- Download the Alberta Emergency Alert application
- Alberta Emergency Alerts are issued by the communities where a disaster or emergency is occurring.
- By signing up to receive this information directly, you will be better informed about potential risks to your health, safety or community.
Alberta Emergency Alert
The City of Lethbridge utilizes the provincial alerting system "Alberta Emergency Alert". This program was initially developed in 1992 and currently allows for effective cooperation between government and media outlets. Its intention is to issue warnings or critical information about an immediate disaster, where it is occurring and what action needs to be taken.
Alerts are distributed to the public through various outlets including:
- Radio and Television
- RSS Feed
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Road Signage
- Alberta Emergency Alert Mobile App
What about wireless alerting?
- Wireless public alerting allows governments across Canada to send public safety messages directly to smartphones in a region.
- If there is an emergency in your local area you will get an alert on your compatible smartphone.
- For your phone to be compatible it should be connected to the 4G LTE network through your cell phone provider. You can learn more at alertready.ca, and check if your phone is compatible to receive wireless alerts.
- No warning system replaces the need for individual, family and community preparedness. All Lethbridge residents are encouraged to have an emergency plan and a 72-hour kit to help you manage until emergency responders can reach you.