Sign In



TDG Permit.jpgOpen Burn Permit.jpgPyrotechnic Permit.jpg

Fire Performance Permit.jpgHot Works Permit.jpgTank Permit.jpg

Tank Registry.jpgUnderground Piping.jpgDemolition Permit.jpg


Transportation of Dangerous Goods

Vehicles that are transporting dangerous goods within the City of Lethbridge, require a Transportation of Dangerous Goods permit, please see above for Permit Application.

All vehicles must transport their dangerous goods on the Dangerous Goods Route.

Open Burning Guidelines

Backyard fire pit permits are not required within the City of Lethbridge, although citizens are encouraged to be familiar with bylaw 5858 Open Burning. Failure to comply with the Open Burning bylaw will result in fines.

For further information on Fire Pits, please click here.

When the Fire Department responds to a fire pit complaint, they will determine if there is a public safety concern and if so, will extinguish the fire.

The Fire Department may issue commercial Open Burn Permits, please see above for Permit Application.

Pyrotechnics / Fire Performance

In order to discharge firework displays in the City of Lethbridge you must be a licensed pyro technician and must be approved by the City of Lethbridge, Fire Prevention Bureau. For all requirements, please click here.
If all requirements will be met for a fireworks display, please see above for Permit Application.
**Please note an application form must be filled out for each event and all requirements must be met prior to the permit being issued.**

Please see above for a Fire Performance (Fire Spinning) Permit Application.

For the safety of our residents, the City of Lethbridge prohibits the discharge of fireworks and does not issue permits for the sale or purchase of fireworks.

Hot Works 

Working with ignition sources near flammable materials is referred to as "hot work." Welding, soldering and cutting are examples of hot work. Fires are often the result of the "quick five minute" job in areas not intended for welding or cutting. Getting a hot work permit before performing hot work is just one of the steps involved in a hot work management program that helps to reduce the risk of starting a fire by hot work in areas where there are flammable or combustible materials.

Please see above for a Hot Works Permit Application.

Please read through all the regulations on the application form prior to submitting.

Tank Permits  

Permits are required for petroleum tanks only.P5120021.JPG
Please see above for a Tank Permit Application to remove or install above ground or underground tanks.

For information on underground piping replacement and for the Permit Application, please see above.
If a tank is being decommissioned please fill out this form.

Tank Registry Certificates  

The Municipality of Lethbridge has recently developed a new process, allowing for the transition of the Annual Operating Certificate from the Petroleum Tank Management Association of Alberta (PTMAA) to our municipality.

The annual operating certificate is required for all storage tanks with rated capacities of 2,500L or larger.

As of August 31, 2023, annual operating certificates will need to be renewed for the 2023-2024 year. A renewal letter and invoice will be sent to each business owner at the beginning of August for renewal.

The annual fee of $75.00 per tank will be charged for the annual operating certificate, this is in accordance with the fee set out by the Alberta Safety Codes Authority (ASCA), a division of the Safety Codes Council. The annual fee also includes a $6.00 levy per tank set by the Safety Codes Council. The annual operating certificates will be valid from September 1st to August 31st of the following year.  Annual operating certificates will not be prorated from date received. 

It is the responsibility of the business owner to notify the Fire Prevention Bureau of any changes to the Tank Registry information. Please see above to fill in and submit the Tank Registry Application to update your tank information.

Fire Safety Plan

A Fire Safety Plan is required within the City of Lethbridge for construction, renovation and demolition sites. See Fire Safety Plan Guidelines.

Demolition Permit

Please see above for Permit Application.

Please call 403-320-3811 or email: to arrange for the Fire Prevention Bureau signature between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm.

Please be advised, in order to receive the Fire Prevention signature on the Demolition Permit, the ATCO Gas and Electric Department signature must be received first.

To save some time, please fill out the following document and bring with you to receive the Fire Prevention signature. Fire Safety Plan for small buildings.

AGLC Event/Occupant Loads

Please call 403-320-3811 or email: to arrange for the Fire Prevention Bureau signature between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm.

For Outdoor Events please refer to the Outdoor Special Event Requirements.  

For Indoor Events please refer to the Indoor Special Event Requirements.

Secondary Suites

The approval of secondary suites is a vital step to ensure life safety measures are in place to keep residents safe. This approval is done through the Building Code. Learn more about this process here: