The City of Lethbridge has three safe launch areas for boaters and floaters on the Oldman River:
- Popson Park
- Indian Battle Park
- Highway 3 Bridge Launch Area
***Please note that there is a mandatory portage route above the weir.***
Pavan Park contains stairs from the waters edge to the top of the river bank for easy exiting of the Oldman River, located just north of the outcropping.
Float times (approximate depending on the time of year)
Popson Park to Upper Weir Portage: 3 - 4 hours
Lower Weir Indian Battle Park Launch area to Highway 3 Bridge: 1 - 2 hours
Highway 3 Bridge launch area to Peenaquim Park: 1 - 2 hours
Highway 3 Bridge launch area to Pavan Park: 3 - 4 hours
Safety on the River
When you tube, swim, wade or do anything else on the water, please keep safety in mind. Hazards include undercurrents, dams, weirs and submerged objects. The hazards might not always be visible.
- Have a float plan - where are you entering and exiting the river? How long will it take? How many people? When are you leaving and returning? Tell someone.
- Always have a buddy and never swim, float or fish alone.
- Make sure you tell your friends when you are leaving and when you will return.
- Always wear a life jacket.
- Check weather reports before you head out.
- Never use drugs or alcohol.
- Bring supplies - shoes, cell phone, flashlight, whistle, lifejacket, water.
At no time should you go anywhere near the weir. It is extremely dangerous and there is a mandatory exit spot (portage route). Watch for signs and learn where it is located before you head out.
Storm pond water contact is prohibited. This means no swimming, diving, wading or boating on storm ponds throughout the city.
To learn more about water safety please click here