Community Social Development (CSD) is responsible for working with the community to develop and implement social policy in Lethbridge through the administration of social service contracts.
What we do…
Oversee and provide support for national, provincial and municipal funding agreements for social services agencies and community based grants. The funding sources we manage include:
- Family and Community Support Services (FCSS): FCSS is an 80/20 funding partnership between the Government of Alberta and the City of Lethbridge to ensure preventive and early intervention social services can be accessed by citizens in need.
- Outreach Support Services Initiative (OSSI): OSSI is a Provincial program through Alberta Human Services that provides the City of Lethbridge with funding to assist homeless individuals to obtain housing and provide the support services and referrals required to maintain long-term housing stability.
- Reaching Home (RH): RH is the Government of Canada's Homelessness Strategy community-based program aimed at preventing and reducing homelessness across Canada.
- City of Lethbridge: Each year the City of Lethbridge allocates funding through Community Based Grants and Fee For Service to support initiatives through numerous local social service agencies.
Some of the programs CSD supported in 2019:
- The Diversion Outreach Team (DOT)
- Project Connect
- Building Brains
- Social Health Equity Network of Lethbridge and Area (SHENLA)
- Clean Sweep
- Safe Community Call Centre
- Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism and Discrimination (CMARD)
- Lethbridge Elder Abuse Response Network (LEARN)
Did you know?
- Lethbridge is the first city in Alberta to coordinate funding for FCSS, OSSI and RH portfolios simultaneously
- In Lethbridge, we have mapped over 1,500 programs and almost 6,000 services in a city of 100,000
- 154 individuals who were experiencing homelessness were housed in 2019
- DOT served an average of 211 participants monthly in 2019