What is a Neighbourhood Association?
A Neighbourhood Association provides the framework to educate, communicate and support Neighbourhood initiatives. They are a registered Society with a volunteer run Board of Directors that has a general mission to improve the neighbourhood life within a specific boundary.
The Council of Lethbridge Neighbourhoods has take a leadership role in working with and developing local neighbourhood associations. Their website is available here: yqlneighbourhoods.ca. A list of Lethbridge's established Neighbourhood Associations are also available on this page.
What do Neighbourhood Associations do?
- They are the voice for the community and work to educate the City and residents about your needs and vision for future.
- Promote working with other local associations, businesses and the City to achieve mutual goals and share responsibility.
- Create “sense of place” within a community by identifying and leveraging assets, talents and resources.
- Provide framework to support neighbourhood wide campaigns and initiatives.
What are the Benefits of a Neighbourhood Association?
- Incorporated as a Registered Society
- Insurance and liability coverage
- Grants and funding available as well as the ability to fundraise
- An Association can enter into legal contracts
- An Association can own property
- Formal recognition as an Official Organization
- Act as an advocate for your community needs
- Pride in making a difference and experience you can take with you anywhere
- Any resident, property owner or business within the boundaries of a neighbourhood who wants a voice in the decision making for their community.
- A Neighbourhood Association requires a minimum of 5 members to form.
How do Neighbourhood Associations form?
Citizens form Neighbourhood Associations for various reasons, but primarily it is a way to engage citizens in the local community of their neighbourhood. These Neighbourhood Associations are formally established through the same process as any other community or service group, which is a fairly simple and straight forward process.
guide to help guide you through the process of establishing a Neighbourhood Association.
Visit our other pages for more information about: