Starting on Tuesday, May 24, wildfire evacuees in Lethbridge will be able to obtain prepaid debit cards from the following Alberta Works Centre:
Main Floor, Provincial Building, 200-5 Ave South, Lethbridge, AB
8:15 am – 4:30 pm
Fort McMurray-area residents may be eligible for one-time debit card relief funding to help with evacuation costs:
- $1,250 for each eligible adult
- $500 for each dependent child under 18
This funding is tax-free and will not limit other benefits like EI or AISH.
For the latest Emergency Updates from the Alberta Government, visit: www.alberta.ca/emergency.cfm#financial
You’re eligible if:
You were forced to leave the Fort McMurray area because of wildfire and you were unable to return home for a minimum of 7 days because of:
- an evacuation order
- an imminent health and safety threat(s), such as extreme air quality advisories, no access to water, no power, etc.
- or a lack of reasonable transportation options to return home.
If you were evacuated from a work camp and were unable to return home for 7 days, or you incurred extraordinary personal expenses to return home, you may also be eligible.
You’re not eligible if:
- you are from a community that was not impacted;
- you were not in or weren't planning to return to the affected area during the evacuation period
- or you were in the community when the evacuation occurred but were able to return home within 7 days without incurring extraordinary personal cost.
The evacuation period lasts until the evacuation notice is lifted.
What to bring with you
- Red Cross registration number issued when you register as an evacuee
- photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, student ID or employee ID, and your social insurance number, for you and your partner/spouse and/or dependents
- proof of residence or presence in the community such as a utility bill, car registration, insurance documents or a lease/rental receipt
- an adult may apply for the entire family with identification that shows the family relationship for those seeking debit cards. Examples include:
o marriage license
o birth certificates
o documents for school/extra-curricular activities
If you need to replace lost ID, you can request a new card from a registry agent free of charge.