Sign In

Prepaid Debit Cards-Where to Obtain

​Starting on Tuesday, May 24, wildfire evacuees in Lethbrid​ge will be able to obtain prepaid debit cards from the following Alberta Works Centre:

Main Floor, Provincial Building, 200-5 Ave South, Lethbridge, AB 
8:15 am – 4:30 pm

Fort McMurray-area residents may be eligible for one-time debit card relief funding to help with evacuation costs:

  • $1,250 for each eligible adult
  • $500 for each dependent child under 18

This funding is tax-free and will not limit other benefits like EI or AISH.

For the latest Emergency Updates from the Alberta Government, visit: 

You’re eligible if:
You were forced to leave the Fort McMurray area because of wildfire and you were unable to return home for a minimum of 7 days because of:

  • an evacuation order
  • an imminent health and safety threat(s), such as extreme air quality advisories, no access to water, no power, etc.
  • or a lack of reasonable transportation options to return home.

If you were evacuated from a work camp and were unable to return home for 7 days, or you incurred extraordinary personal expenses to return home, you may also be eligible.

You’re not eligible if:

  • you are from a community that was not impacted;
  • you were not in or weren't planning to return to the affected area during the evacuation period
  • or you were in the community when the evacuation occurred but were able to return home within 7 days without incurring extraordinary personal cost.

The evacuation period lasts until the evacuation notice is lifted.

What to bring with you

  • Red Cross registration number issued when you register as an evacuee
  • photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, student ID or employee ID, and your social insurance number, for you and your partner/spouse and/or dependents
  • proof of residence or presence in the community such as a utility bill, car registration, insurance documents or a lease/rental receipt
  • an adult may apply for the entire family with identification that shows the family relationship for those seeking debit cards. Examples include:
    o marriage license
    o birth certificates
    o passports
    o documents for school/extra-curricular activities

If you need to replace lost ID, you can request a new card from a registry agent free of charge.​