Multicultural Centre (D-8)
|Location||421 - 6th Avenue South|
Old Fire Hall #1 was renovated to become the Multicultural Centre (MCC) and is located on the perimeter of the downtown area at 421 6 Avenue South.
The new design utilized the existing fire hall interior walls wherever possible for cost savings and included environmentally sustainable building features where possible.
The design included the following features, which allows public or private functions to be held in the new facility:
- A main entrance lobby
- A new dining hall, commercial kitchen and bar
- New washroom facilities to accommodate the increased occupancy load of the facility
- Breakout spaces and meeting rooms throughout the office areas for planned and impromptu meetings
- A multipurpose room
- Five offices for employees and rental, served by a kitchenette
- Coat storage at both major entrances to the building
- Several flexible storage spaces as well as a janitor room located adjacent to the washrooms
- Main entrance lobby
May 2016 - Project was completed on budget.
December 16, 2015 - Construction work is approximately 70 per cent completed with an anticipated completion date of February 2016. Weather dependent work will be completed in the spring with the Southern Alberta Ethnic Association (SAEA) set to occupy the building in May 2016.
July 15, 2015 - Site demolition is complete. All utility connections (water, sewer and storm) to the building are complete except electrical. Piling work is 90% complete. Grade beam forming work is in progress.
April 7, 2015 - Construction and demolition has begun on the old Fire Hall #1.
|Municipal Sustainability Initiative (MSI) Grant||$4,300,000|
Click here to view our interactive City Projects Map
Click here to view 2014 - 2023 CIP D - 8
Building Project Manager
City of Lethbridge
Southern Alberta Ethnic Association