This project is part of the planned sewer maintenance program.
2014 inspections identified issues of corrosion of the 60+ year old pipes. A recent failure on this same pipeline emphasized the poor condition and high cost of replacing this pipe. The project involves the relining of sewer pipes for 2.5 km in North Lethbridge. (see map) These lines collect sewage from most of the industrial park and the surrounding neighbourhoods. The project is broken into five phases completed using a continuous rolling operation. To allow for the work to be completed and continue service to the area, above ground bypass pumping will be conducted at each phase until the relining has occurred.
Overall timeline – 10 weeks, beginning October 6, 2014
This project will be operational seven days a week (including weekends and some evening work) Each phase will take approximately 12 days which includes set up and teardown of traffic accommodations, pumping, liner installation and roadway repairs. This will be done in a rolling operation where one phase will start as another phase is being completed.
October 2, 2014-Public open house held for residents impacted by this project. Click here to view the slide presentation.
October 6, 2014-Our contractor has moved onto 14th Avenue North to begin preparation of the bypass piping. Phase 1 to commence on October 13th.
October 22, 2014 - Phase 2 begins
- We will begin phase 2 of the 2014 Sewer Lining program starting Wednesday, October 22, 2014. 28th St North will be reopened to traffic with 23 Street North between 13th and 15th Avenue remaining closed for approximately one week.
- There will also be a hole excavation on 18th Avenue North that will create a detour around the block.
- Detour signs will be in place to guide motorists around the closure. Please follow the posted detours and drive with caution. Motorists are encouraged to use 13th Street, 28th Street and Stafford Drive as alternative routes.
October 29, 2014 - Phase 3 begins
- We will begin phase three of the 2014 Sewer Lining program starting Wednesday, October 29, 2014. The work area for phase 3 includes 18th Avenue North from 16th to 20th St. This road will be closed for approximately 10 days while the contractor completes lining in the area.
- 23rd St and 14th Avenue will be reopened to traffic on Wednesday after the contractor removes equipment from the roadways. Please use caution when driving if the contractor is nearby moving any equipment.
- Detour signs will be in place to guide motorists around the closure. Please follow the posted detours and drive with caution. Motorists are encouraged to use 23rd and 15th Avenue as alternate routes around the closed road section.
November 8, 2014 - Phase 4 begins
- We will begin phase four of the 2014 Sewer Lining program starting Saturday, November 8, 2014. The work area for phase 4 includes 18th Avenue North, St Edwards Blvd N and the intersection of 13th St. N. These roads will be modified for approximately 8 days while the contractor completes lining in the area.
- The intersection of 13th St. N. & 18th Ave. N. will be closed on Saturday to allow the installation of vehicle ramps. After the roadway is reopened, please drive slow when driving over the ramps and follow the traffic setup in place.
- Detour signs will be in place to guide motorists through the area. Please follow the posted detours and drive with caution. Motorists are encouraged to use 23rd St. N. and Scenic Drive as alternate routes if possible to avoid the work area.
November 12, 2014-Delay
- The liners destined for installation have been prepared with an improper mix of chemical resin. When the contractor went to start prepping them for installation, they found they had already cured and were unsuitable for use. New liners are being brought in on an emergency basis but will not be installed until Monday, November 17th at the earliest.
- Citizens can expect to see an inactive job site until Saturday, November 15th while we wait for the liners to be delivered. Due to the cost and time associated with moving the existing pipe, ramps and traffic detours already in place, they will remain for this time period.
- On Saturday, November 15th, the bypass pumping installation will continue and Phase 4 will proceed. For this reason, the schedule for Phase 4 is being extended with a scheduled completion of Friday, November 21st.
November 19, 2014 - Phase 5 begins
- We will begin phase five of the 2014 Sewer Lining program starting Wednesday, November 19, 2014. The work area for phase 5 takes place on St Edwards Blvd N, from 13th Street to St George Rd. This road will be open for local traffic only for approximately eight days while the contractor completes lining in the area.
Detour signs will be in place to guide motorists through the area. Please follow the posted detours and drive with caution. Motorists are encouraged to use 13th Avenue and Scenic Drive as alternate routes to avoid the work area.
November 26, 2014-Sewer Lining Complete
- All liners have now been installed, the contractors are in the process of packing up their equipment and leaving. We expect them to conclude packing up the bypass piping by tomorrow evening or first thing Friday morning. There remains a few excavations on St Edward Blvd which will be repaired shortly.
- Thanks to all the residents for their patience and understanding during each phase of this project. Please contact Adam Campbell at 403 320 4744 if anything was overlooked during the cleanup activities.
Public Open House:
The public was invited to an information session to discuss the details of this project and the impact it will have on specific neighbourhoods. It was held on October 2, 2014 at the Nord-Bridge Senior Centre. Click here to view the slide presentation.
Road Closure Notification:
Residents directly affected by a project phase will be notified by letter seven (7) days in advance of road closures.
There are 49 homes that will be without use of their sewer for 1 day. Those residences will be notified by door hangers and contacted directly by a contractor representative. No other residential sewer in Lethbridge will be affected by this project.
Sewer Lining Schedule
Adam Campbell, Project Manager
City of Lethbridge