The Water Treatment Plant takes water from the Oldman River and treats it to ensure that all residents in Lethbridge have safe clean water. The plant is capable of treating 150 million litres of water per day and uses a multi-step treatment process. This process consists of coagulation, sedimentation, filtration, fluoridation and disinfection. Additionally, our water distribution system consists of 570 kilometers of watermain and 5 storage reservoirs with pump stations.
The projects that are being identified for the 2014-2023 CIP are based on the following:
- Upgrades to meet regulatory requirements
- System Growth
- New facilities and network extensions
- Failure to meet levels of service
- Analysis predicting performance issues
- Asset Lifecycle Replacement
- Elevated maintenance costs
- End of useful life
Funding for these improvements will come from existing capital and internal borrowing.
2014-2016 Capital Improvement Projects