The holiday season brings traditions, family, fun and unexpected surprises, but often it can also mean more waste being sent to the landfill.
Click on a picture below to view the printable posters that show what these #greenangels will give their loved ones to keep their holiday happy, healthy and 'green'.
In the past, we've asked Lethbridge residents for some ideas on how they reduce waste while they shop and/or prepare for festivities. Here are some of the ideas that were sent to us:
- Home-made decorations for the tree. Decorations can even be made from materials you can compost when you're done. For an idea to get started click here.
- Fabric gift bags or fabric wrapping. Your friends and family will love the unique gift wrapping.
- Give a calling card to someone far away - the gift of conversation.
- Get a pass for swimming, a concert, or sporting event. Check out what's coming up at the Lethbridge Enmax Centre or other events by clicking here.
- Potted plants are a great way to show you care.
- Give a gift that supports protecting wildlife, natural areas, or other environmentally or socially beneficial programs. Check out the No-Gift Green Gift Guide for tips on how to give a donation as a gift.
- Reduce waste by recycling and buying items with less or no packaging. Take the excess cardboard and other materials to a Lethbridge Recycling Station. Please remember: styrofoam and standard wrapping paper is not recyclable!
- Plant a tree in someone's name.
- Purchase a share in a local community shared agriculture or food box program (your loved one will be treated to regular fresh fruit, veggies and/or meat).
- Look for quality over quantity. Items that are made to last are appreciated by the receiver of the gift and do not need to be replaced in the near future.
For more information
Report a problem like missed collection or mess in lane
Phone: 311 or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)
Online: Service request options