During one weekend in Spring (April) and Fall (September), help reduce landfill waste and find yourself some free goods!
Environment Lethbridge will again be hosting the Reuse Rendezvous, so check out their webpage for more information about the event, how to get signs, and where to find lots of great items!
How do I participate?
- Set items to give away in front of your house (on your property) on Friday evening.
- Place a sign or sticker saying "free" on all items to be given away and ensure that all items that you want to keep are tucked away so there's no confusion.
- On Sunday evening, take all uncollected items back to your home.
...meanwhile residents are able to go out in search of free goods that they can make use of. Happy treasure hunting!
The City will NOT be picking up uncollected items - see below for disposal suggestions.
***Multi-family dwelling? Talk to your landlord or building maintenance personnel and discuss what area of the property you may use to display your items to give away. Need suggestions on how your tenants can participate? Call 403-329-7367 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for ideas.
How will people find my items I am giving away?
Residents are invited to cruise the streets in search items that they can use and can take anything that is labeled 'free'. Check out Environment Lethbridge's webpage for other ways to find things including their interactive Google Map where you can 'pin' your items and a Facebook event page where you are invited to post your comments and create conversation about the event AND use #lethreuse to stay informed.
What should I give away?
Set out items in the front area of your house that are usable but unwanted. This is a great opportunity to clear out all those dusty items that are cluttering your storage spaces. Here are some examples of appropriate items to give away:
- Books, CDs, DVDs, records
- Furniture and small appliances
- Sports equipment and toys
- Yard and gardening equipment (ex. lawn mowers, snow blowers, shovels)
- Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- Unwanted gifts
- Construction material including drywall and hardware (ex. nails, bolts and screws)
- Electronics (working and functional)
Items put out for this event are free for the taking and should be labeled 'free'.
Only items that are in good condition and are usable should be placed out to give away. Ask yourself these questions:
- Does it work?
- Is it reasonable to fix?
- Is the technology still relevant?
- Can anyone use it?
- Is it safe?
Safety and Respect!
Consider safety when you are choosing items to be given away, driving around looking for goods, or picking up items that you will reuse. Take items you will use and leave the rest for others. Respect other's property and traffic laws when looking for or picking up goods.
Visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada to find out about items that are not safe to give away such as baby walkers, lawn darts, mattresses, blinds, some toys and other child-related items.
What can I do with leftover items?
Items that are not picked up by anyone and are left over from the event are to be taken back in to the home from which they came. The city will NOT be picking up uncollected items. Here are some disposal options for left over items:
- Consider donating unwanted items to charitable organizations or a local thrift store. Show respect by calling first to find out what they will accept, and where/when you should make your donation. Please don't just dump!
- Use an online program such as Kijiji or Freecycle to post your free items.
- Some items may be recyclable in Lethbridge for free or for a small fee. This includes electronics, bicycles, lawn maintenance equipment, unpainted/untreated wood, pallets, car batteries, paint, metal (including appliances) and drywall. If you're unsure about where to recycle your item, please click here, call the Waste and Recycling Hotline, 403-329-7367 or email email@example.com
- You may choose to put unwanted items in the landfill. To dispose of items that will not fit in your waste collection cart, you may call Large Item Service to arrange for a scheduled pick up. Alternatively, you may haul your items in your own vehicle to the Waste & Recycling Centre and dispose (tipping fees may apply).