We invite your classroom to join the City of Lethbridge for an exciting, interactive tour of the Waste & Recycling Centre. Participants gain an understanding of the following key concepts:
- Waste is a resource! It takes something to make something.
- How a modern landfill is designed and built
- Many things we dispose of are simply too good to waste
This program connects to the Grade 4 "Waste and Our World" curriculum unit and enables many of the
Alberta Education cross-curricular competencies.
We are also excited to announce the opening of the NEW Blue Sky Educational Centre! The Centre is an interactive exhibit space where students will learn about:
- Waste Hierarchy (changing purchasing habits and attitudes)
- Closing the “loop” (moving away from a linear landfill system)
- The real cost of products (environmental and social impacts)
Fall 2022 In-Person Tours: Open for Booking
Booking is open for Fall 2022 in-person tours of the Waste and Recycling Centre. The tour includes the Landfill, Public Drop Off station (PDO), and the Blue Sky Educational Centre. Tours are FREE, however schools must make own arrangements for transportation to, from, and around the site.
Tours run from September 27 to October 27, 2022. The program is approximately 2 hours in duration from 9:30am-11:30am, Tuesday-Thursday. Tours may be booked outside these dates subject to tour availability.
Tour Video Series:
A Too Good to Waste tour video series is also available! The series includes a video tour of the Landfill, Public Drop Off (PDO) and an educational video on Waste. The video series is FREE but will be available only by request.
Ready to book an in-person tour, or interested in the Tour Video Series?
Contact 311 and they will put you in contact with our Waste & Recycling Education team!
Want to learn more about recycling and waste in nature or about conscious consumerism and consumer responsibility? Check out The Helen Schuler Nature Centre's programs page Click here.
Online Resources for Teachers
- Click here for Material Recovery Facility (MRF), "Blue Cart Recycling Sorting It Out" Video
Other Resources for Teachers
- Click here for Recycling Council of Alberta Teacher Resources
- Click here for Waste Reduction Week Teachers Resource
- Click here for interesting video, "For 30 Days I Wore Every Piece of Trash I Created"
More Waste, Water and Ecosystem Resources
- Click here for lesson plans, guides, and brochures
- Click here to learn more about HSNC Natural Leaders Project, immersive program to discover our role as stewards in this ecosystem
For more information
Submit a service request
Phone: 311 or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)
Address: City Hall, 910 4 Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1J 0P6