We invite your classroom to join the City of Lethbridge for an exciting, interactive tour of the Waste & Recycling Centre. Participants gain an understanding of the following key concepts:
- Waste is a resource! It takes something to make something.
- How a modern landfill is designed and built
- Many things we dispose of are simply too good to waste
This program connects to the Grade 4 "Waste and Our World" curriculum unit and enables many of the
Alberta Education cross-curricular competencies.
Although, the program aligns with Grade 4 the information is beneficial to students in grades 4 -12! Just let us know what grade your students are in and the education team will design a program relevant to your students.
We are excited to announce the opening of the NEW Blue Sky Educational Centre! The Centre is an interactive exhibit space where students will learn about:
- Waste Hierarchy (changing purchasing habits and attitudes)
- Closing the “loop” (moving away from a linear landfill system)
- The real cost of products (environmental and social impacts)
Please note: At this time the Blue Sky Centre is only available for School tours however we look forward to welcoming the general public in 2022!
Fall 2021 In-Person Tours: CANCELLED
Due to increasing COVID-19 cases we will not be offering in-person tours this Fall. We hope to return to in-person tours this Spring, if it is safe to do so. The health and safety of our staff and the community continues to be a priority and we are sorry for the inconvenience. If you have any question, please call 311 and they will put you in contact with our Education team.
Tour Video Series:
Check out the Too Good to Waste tour video series! The series includes a video tour of the Landfill, Public Drop Off (PDO) and an educational video on Waste. The video series is FREE but will be available only by request.
Interested in the Tour Video Series? Contact 311,
they will put you in contact with our Waste & Recycling Education team!
Want to learn more about recycling and waste in nature or about conscious consumerism and consumer responsibility? Check out The Helen Schuler Nature Centre's programs page Click here.
Online Resources for Teachers
- Click here for Material Recovery Facility (MRF), "Blue Cart Recycling Sorting It Out" Video
Let Us Know What You Need
We recognize that all classrooms are different. We have lots of other resources and activities for the classroom! Please let us know what we can do to help you bring waste and recycling education into your learning space.
Contact 311 for more details!
Other Resources for Teachers
- Click here for Recycling Council of Alberta Teacher Resources
- Click here for Waste Reduction Week Teachers Resource
- Click here for interesting video, "For 30 Days I Wore Every Piece of Trash I Created"
More Waste, Water and Ecosystem Resources
- Click here for lesson plans, guides, and brochures
- Click here to learn more about HSNC Natural Leaders Project, immersive program to discover our role as stewards in this ecosystem
For more information
Submit a service request
Phone: 311 or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)
Address: City Hall, 910 4 Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1J 0P6