What is Waste Reduction Week?
Each year during the third week of October, Waste Reduction Week occurs across Canada. The event engages and empowers us to reduce, reuse and recycle waste. This year, Waste Reduction Week is from October 18-24.
What's going on in Lethbridge this year?
2021 Waste Reduction Week Theme Days
Kick Off & Circular Economy Monday
- Lethbridge is taking its first steps towards a circular economy. A circular economy keeps products circulating at their best value and most useful, through waste prevention, improved design, reuse, recycling, remanufacturing and innovation. Find out more about this initiative here!
- City Hall will also glow green and blue on the evening of Oct 18 to kick-off Waste Reduction Week.
- Did you know? North Americans send over 10 million tonnes of clothes to landfills every year, and almost all of those clothes could have been reused or recycled.
- Choose to reuse! When it’s time to get rid of old or unwanted clothing, use our Waste Wizard tool to find location donation options.
- The world generated a record 53.6 million metric tonnes (Mt) of electronic waste in 2019, which is up 21 per cent in only five years.
- There is a free collection area for electronic waste at the City’s Waste & Recycling Centre, and now almost anything with a cord can be collected for recycling, thanks to an exciting new provincial recycling pilot program. Click here to find out more!
Food Waste Friday
- Many of us already participate in the sharing economy every day, by using ride sharing apps, libraries, rental services, or online swap or trade sites. Joining in the sharing economy is easy, not to mention saves us money and keeps items out of the landfill. Find out more about the sharing economy here.
Swap & Repair Sunday
- Did you know, Environment Lethbridge has a handy interactive map with information on repair shops, recycling depots, secondhand stores and zero-waste retailers in Lethbridge? Check it out here.
Find more tips and tricks to reduce waste here:
Recycling Council of Alberta
Waste Reduction Week Canada
Share your actions on social media with the hashtag #WasteReductionWeek
For more information
Report a problem like missed collection or mess in lane
Phone: 311 or 403-320-3111 (if outside of Lethbridge)
Online: Service request options